Reviews tagging Infidelity

The Bread the Devil Knead, by Lisa Allen-Agostini

naraya's review

challenging dark emotional sad tense slow-paced

mganallirt's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

myparisbookshelf's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

daniellekat's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad medium-paced

Incredibly powerful and raw, while still being witty and realistic. The writing was outstanding and I loved the use of Trini Creole throughout.
If you have this on your tbr I strongly recommend you look at all the content warnings (not just the summary). I don’t think I was prepared enough for some of the challenging content and that definitely affected my rating.

chaoticmissadventures's review

Heartbreaking, hopeful, and engrossing.  I was rooting for Alethea from the get go, and while most of the book was hard, her journey is one of strength, resilience, and light. I am also in love with this cover.
I am so glad this was on the Women's Prize List for 2022, I would not have found it on my own.  I do wonder why they have chosen for 2 years in a row Caribbean authors/books that center domestic violence. I am hoping this is not the only exposure that people following this list get of Caribbean women writers.

thewordsdevourer's review

challenging dark medium-paced

The Bread the Devil Knead is an immensely immersive yet subtly meaty book that would've undoubtedly gotten 4 stars if only I wasn't depressed reading abt the main character Alethea's surprisingly dark and challenging trials.

This novel is unique, I think, in its complex and deep-layered portrayal of an abusive relationship where the female victim can actually afford to leave w/o her life falling apart a lil. But she doesnt, and her reasons - or rather lifelong trauma-rooted conditioning - for not doing so unearth a whole can of worms that are truly disturbing. I feel for the main character while also being frustrated at times.

A lot of important issues - some rampant in Trinidadian society - are also tackled, such as racism, colorism, female identity outside of motherhood, misogyny, and ofc intergenerational abuse and trauma, and Allen-Agostini does so w/o making it overwhelming. Another thing I enjoy is Alethea's distinctive voice that can be both unintentionally dark and funny; it def makes the story even more memorable.

Overall, this is a novel riveting in both its darkness and glimmers of light. It manages to keep me glued to the pg in dread, and that's def sth.