Reviews tagging Pedophilia

The Bread the Devil Knead, by Lisa Allen-Agostini

rincey's review

emotional fast-paced

deedireads's review

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

All my reviews live at https://deedispeaking.com/reads/.

TL;DR REVIEW:

The Bread the Devil Knead is a well-written but very heavy novel about cycles of generational trauma and childhood and domestic abuse. I appreciated it and respect it, but I can’t quite say I enjoyed it.

For you if: You’re interested in reading books set in Trinidad, and/or about the traps of abuse.

FULL REVIEW:

I picked up The Bread the Devil Knead because it was shortlisted for this year’s Women’s Prize. While I’m glad that I read it, and I definitely appreciate and respect it, the brutality of the subject matter makes me not quite able to say that I enjoyed it. (TW: domestic abuse ahead)

Set in Port of Spain, Trinidad, the story is about a woman named Alethea. Having run away from an abusive household before bouncing from one bad boyfriend situation to another, she now manages a clothing shop while hiding the bruises her current boyfriend leaves her with. Two things happen to set the story in motion: one, she reconnects with her cousin (who she essentially raised as a baby brother), and two, a woman is shot and killed by a jealous boyfriend outside her shop. We also get flashbacks to her childhood, and new family secrets play into her consideration of whether she is in danger herself, whether she does or doesn’t want a change, and how much to let her friends into her life.

One thing I think this book did very well was to fully capture both Alethea and Port of Spain. I was really glad for the opportunity to read a novel written not only in Trinidad, but largely in a Trinidadian dialect. Alethea is a complex character, and the inside of her mind as we witness the impact of domestic abuse and generational trauma was very well done.

There were two main things that I didn’t quite love, though: First, there is a flashback scene toward the end of the book that, in my opinion, didn’t add anything but brutality. We as readers already knew that the events of the flashback had happened, and I didn’t feel like I needed to actually see it to understand its implication. Second, I’m not sure how I feel about the ending. I don’t want to spoil it, but I guess I’ll just say that it didn’t feel like it worked as hard as I’d hoped it might.

There are definitely aspects of this novel worthy of being read; just know going in that it’s a tough one.

tina94's review

challenging dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

cupcake77's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad tense medium-paced

<strong>This is a hard read but important.</strong>

This is a book full of violence and brutality but also warmth and hope. The best and worst of humanity if you will.  I was routing for Althea throughout and admired her will to succeed no matter how cruel life is.

Although this book would not be for  everyone and comers with to many trigger warnings to count. It is also a funny book full of hope and beautifully written in Trinidadian Creole throughout.

lizzie_is_reading's review against another edition

feyiosinaike's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

lianne_rooney's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

carlyalynnsia's review

challenging sad tense medium-paced

alexhaydon's review

dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

chaoticmissadventures's review

Heartbreaking, hopeful, and engrossing.  I was rooting for Alethea from the get go, and while most of the book was hard, her journey is one of strength, resilience, and light. I am also in love with this cover.
I am so glad this was on the Women's Prize List for 2022, I would not have found it on my own.  I do wonder why they have chosen for 2 years in a row Caribbean authors/books that center domestic violence. I am hoping this is not the only exposure that people following this list get of Caribbean women writers.