Brighton Rock, by Graham Greene

graceduncan's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

joncoughlin's review against another edition

graham greene rocks
got it from the used bookstore because Carl said he thought it was "cool"
totally is cool, main gangster's name is Pinky and the writing is smooth
greene has a way of making me dislike his characters, but his language is always flawless and his tone is always consistent

holliesatchell's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

I read this book for school and received about what I expected. Quite boring and slow, but I never like the books I have to read for school anyway, so my review is completely biased.

ellisknox's review against another edition

My first Greene book. I thought it was brilliant. The lead character reminded me of the character in Clockwork Orange. An amazingly violent book without a lot of actual violence.

nikkimcgee's review against another edition

Possibly the best opening and closing lines of a book that I can remember however I lost my way in the middle. The first 1/3 was tense and dramatic but then it became a little slow. Maybe I just expected too much because it is a modern classic.

mimosaeyes's review against another edition

Atmospheric, tautly styled noir: cold, murderous Pinkie with his horror of sex and women; Rose, the innocent, loving witness; Ida, the unlikely detective, purveyor of Right/Wrong instead of Good/Evil. It reads like a period drama can feel: cinematic, dark, psychological.

The reason the novel takes its title from the candy known as Brighton Rock is outlined in this exchange between Rose and Ida:
"'People change,' she said.
'Oh, no they don't. Look at me. I've never changed. It's like those sticks of rock: bite it all the way down, you'll still read Brighton. That's human nature.'" (p. 216)

And that view of human nature does seem to be part of the novel's foundation. Pinkie is damned, Rose is saved but unredeemed. The apparent triumph of Ida's belief system over their Roman Catholicism is tempered. What an ambivalent, shadowy tale...

hey_laura_mc's review against another edition

I've bored my students senseless with all of the CATHOLIC ICONOGRAPHY and IMAGERY OF HEAVEN AND HELL and the QUESTIONS IT RAISES ABOUT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Still, enjoyed it.

annietallis's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book and it proves that a classic like this can be entertaining and accessible at the same time. You love to hate the character of Pinkie and you become so engrossed in his actions and you want to discover the real motivations of his actions but you never really do which entices you in even more. There are so many questions left unanswered- did he ever love rose at all? Was he a coward and was this why he killed Spicer? Why didn't he kill Dallow? What happens to Rose and does she remarry? I would love to find out all of these questions but like so many of the characters personal stories, I think it's quite fitting that the story doesn't really have a clean ending.

retroclaude's review against another edition

Atmospheric and very gripping.

hannah_bookworm's review