I'm Afraid of Men, by Vivek Shraya

itsahavartiparty's review against another edition

I feel like I say this a lot, but this book-- essay?-- packs a powerful punch despite its length. In the 90 or so minutes it took me to read this, I felt sadness, disappointment, and so much anger. Shraya ends the book with a call to arms that I can tell will stay with me for a long time.

jubilantk's review against another edition

Insightful. Heartfelt. Quotidien.

subrenah's review against another edition

challenging reflective

stuffinmybrainhole's review

challenging emotional fast-paced

kareenbeanreads's review against another edition

A short yet impactful book that I would consider a must read for everyone.

lara_12's review

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

leviathans's review against another edition

I think I expected more from this book than it was available; there are some interesting points in here but they were buried under a lot of dry, very surface-level writing. A bit of a surprise considering it's provocative title.
I feel like I've heard all these points before, and in the book they seemed particularly underdeveloped, not given to nuance. It didn't help the writing seemed very removed, almost too analytical. I feel a bit unfair to say that sometimes it felt like I was reading a lefty twitter thread, but it's true.
I do sympathise a lot with the points Vivek makes, and I will probably read some of her fiction to see how her writing translates.

bookishplantmom's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

A powerful testimony about a trans woman of colour’s experiences of misogyny, homophobia and transphobia. Beautifully written and poignant.

jillmacintyre's review

challenging emotional informative reflective fast-paced

eloiseandromeda's review against another edition

not the best control of diction but a great testimony if a cis reader is looking for a peek into the minds of trans people and common trans experiences in social situations.