Reviews tagging Racial slurs

The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

seawarrior's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

While some passages in this book were terribly dull to me, Wilde's dazzling language and audacious characters kept drawing my interest back in. I'm fortunate to have just read the works of a few of the philosophers referenced in this book for college, though I'm sure there were several references to other works of literature and ethics systems that went over my head. The edition of the book I had access to did not provide citations of other works Wilde referenced, but I imagine one that did would have only made my reading experience richer.

I'm sure that most of what I can say about this book in regards to its philosophy and history has already been said by someone more knowledgeable that me, so I won't go into my thoughts on those matters. As a horror story I think it still holds up well in the modern day. Dorian's descent into soullessness grows more chilling by the chapter, as his sins culminate and lead to his ultimate end. Wilde's wit and descriptive language made the scenery and characters come alive, and as the book went on I felt it less challenging to make sense of his dense paragraphs and philosophies. I would recommend this book to other readers. It remains a classic not only for Wilde's adept writing, but the controversy it caused at the time of publication.

alldebstinations's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

mic13's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective slow-paced

maddy_s's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

snailfoxtrots's review against another edition

challenging dark medium-paced

pembcrley's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

My first “classic” read in a while and definitely my last for a while. I was familiar with the story even though this was my first read, and it was still enjoyable, once you got over the race/sex/antisemit-isms

thea_rem's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense medium-paced
The writing style is excellent and watching Dorian be corrupted slowly but surely is disturbing but fascinating to read about.
But what really threw me off a lot is how Wilde writes women. They are to be beautiful but dumb. An intelligent Woman is a rarity and can only be tolerated for a short amount of time. Woman live of emotions and exaggerate them, while men are creatures of the mind. If the books wasn’t so short I wouldn’t have finished it and if I hadn’t lend it from the library I would’ve thrown it against a wall.

crying_again's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

dru's review against another edition

dark reflective slow-paced

I felt the book dragged longer than necessary I think it successfully made its point about probably midway through.

Some of Henry’s comments were darkly amusing and entertaining at first, but it got old pretty quickly. And Dorian’s only (mildly) remarkable feature was his long-lasting beauty for he remained as shallow and flat from beginning to end.

On top of that there’s some really misogynistic and racists bits that were really hard to read. I understand that we can’t possibly hold the books to the same standards of today, but I have read other books from the time (and even before) that fare way better.

In summary, the only positive thing about it was all the queer subtext (which gets this review that extra .5)

curatoriallyyours's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

It somewhat picked up the pace in the end but not much happens until half way through the book. Prior to that it's all just unlikeable characters bantering and being ever so clever or ever so dramatic. It was OK.