Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer

zaraaap's review against another edition

listened to on audiobook
stupid stupid dumb book that i hated. also we don’t talk enough about how jacob is just as manipulative as edward is :/

daydreaminglately's review against another edition

Burn this book.Please.

kitkat8267's review against another edition

I still have to say that after ten years, this can still be considered one of my favorite books. And I'm sure from this book came the love I have for these kind of relationships. I love the kind of humor I'm able to still find from this book, I mean the way everyone treats Bella is so fun. I love her listening to the stories of Rosalie and Jasper. Rosalie is my queen! Just love her! She needs her own spinoff series as do all the Cullens. But anyways, the plot is dry and kind of disinteresting but at least gives a reason for the two male leads to stop fighting half the time to realize their differences. I hate Bella pretending she is a saint half the time or a martyr in the series. No one cares Bella! But I love the dynamic, I love Edward and Jacob fighting, and I love Alice throughout this book. A fun read again for nostalgia with lots of markings for my favorite moments to read again.

bookishdamzel's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective tense medium-paced

thewellreadrunner's review against another edition

This series mystifies me. I've never been more annoyed with a group of literary characters, and yet I can't stop giving the books 4 stars and wanting to read them as fast as possible. I got so frustrated with the Jacob/Bella interactions in this novel that I almost had to put the book down in the last 100 pages or so. Jacob, in my opinion, comes off as arrogant and overly jock-minded in his pursuit of Bella, while Bella comes off as an indecisive, immature little girl who can't choose a side to save her life. How do people find this relationship endearing???

And yet, I'll be starting [b:Breaking Dawn|1162543|Breaking Dawn (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)|Stephenie Meyer|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416pfGGLM0L._SL75_.jpg|2960529] tonight and I'm dying to read the end. I think it has more to do with the vampire struggles (will Bella ever change over? Who will they fight after Victoria? etc.) than the romance for me.

selenareads's review against another edition

I thought this might make 2 stars, but surprise, it's actually a 1 star. I think the plot is honestly more mediocre, and more of a 2 star, but the problematic elements of this book make it 1 star, mostly revolving around the toxic love triangle and the horrid portrayal of Native men and women.

This book started off on a bad foot with me, as Edward becomes an absolute controlling, abusive boyfriend. He was not great in New Moon, either, but I was hoping he'd revert to the not-as-toxic-as-I-thought-he-was Edward of Twilight (which he eventually does), but the Edward in the beginning of this book is completely congruous with the toxic Edward of New Moon. He is controlling, manipulative, hires his family to babysit Bella to make sure she doesn't visit Jacob, and takes Bella's car apart so that she can't go see him. Bella's father is also similarly controlling, and the theme of controlling men in Bella's life continues throughout the entire book. It also doesn't help that the codependent aspect of Edward and Bella's relationship (mostly on Bella's side) is hiked up after New Moon, and never truly retreats. Bella in particular continually talks about how she needs Edward, how she couldn't survive without him, etc. Last book, it was Edward in this position, and now it's much more Bella. Furthermore, Bella's continual pressure on Edward to have sex with her and the dealings they have over that is not great either. They end in a much better place, but the journey was toxic and had it happened in real life, I could never support them just because they end in a less toxic place.

But the Edward of the first 150 pages is, confusingly, not the Edward of the rest of the book. For the rest of the book, he respects Bella's wishes and trusts her to not put herself in danger. He works to compromise with her (even when their compromises are suspect, which I'll get to later). Instead, it is Jacob who turns into the abusive one. From their disgusting nonconsensual kiss in the forest (which has all the language of someone who was being assaulted, by the way), the way Jacob NEVER takes no for an answer even about Bella's feelings for him, and the way Jacob manipulates her into kissing him and "admitting" she is in love with him by threatening to kill himself made me physically sick. And to make it worse, no one in Bella's life (except Edward) takes her seriously about how bad this is. Charlie laughs off the thought that his daughter used violence against a man who did something to her against her will. Jacob and Edward continually compete over her and squabble like she's an object rather than a person; Edward certainly sees Bella as a human with thoughts and emotions but consents to dehumanize her to get on Jacob's level, and Jacob just disregards Bella as a human being with thoughts and feelings completely. Edward definitely sees how manipulative Jacob is and validates that and never gets mad at Bella for anything she does under Jacob's manipulation, especially after he threatens suicide, but he certainly doesn't condemn his behavior THAT MUCH. And with all of this information, it's no wonder Bella accepts Jacob's behavior, blames herself for "hurting" him (by not loving him/saying no), and eventually succumbs to his manipulation and "realizes" she's in love with him (and in my opinion, that read a lot like Bella just being so manipulated and gaslit and talked over and ignored that she started to believe what Jacob was telling her). I think it is absolutely disgusting to have the men in Bella's life, who she trusts, continually pull this stuff with her and dehumanize her completely (no pun intended).

And then we have the fact that Jacob is also Native. He behaves in a very predatory way with this white girl, which is a terrible stereotype. Not only that, but he and his werewolves cannot control their instincts very well and act on them continually, which portrays them as very animalistic. For example, Jacob nearly shifting into a wolf and attacking at the idea that Edward would turn Bella into a vampire. Or the recounting of how Sam hurt Emily (which we'll get to). Or the IMPRINTING FOR GOD'S SAKE. Imprinting not only further makes these boys more animalistic, but the way imprinting is explained in this book sounds incredibly creepy, and it's only brought up so that Breaking Dawn can happen, obviously. But at first, it seems to be an instant love for someone, like Jared had for Kim or like Sam had for Emily. It seemed romantic. But then Meyer tried to say it wasn't always, and gave an example of Quil imprinting on a TWO-YEAR-OLD. But then, she makes imprinting sound like a means-to-an-end for relationships. She basically says Quil can be whatever the kid needs, like a brother or a friend or a boyfriend, eventually. And that is not only super creepy and gross and makes imprinting seem incredibly creepy and gross, it isn't consistent with the next book and it just doesn't make sense (the love of a brother, friend, and boyfriend are all SO DIFFERENT my GOSH). So yes, imprinting is a whole ball-game on its own, but it also further dehumanizes these Native boys. And while we're on the subject, let's get into Emily and Sam.

This is the book where we hear all the nasty details about Emily and Sam's relationship. All we knew from New Moon was that he scarred her face in a rage he "couldn't control" and she chose to stay with him. However, Eclipse paints a different picture. Because Sam was with her cousin and dumped her cousin to pursue Emily, Emily wanted nothing to do with Sam and he was persistent. At some point during this period, Sam gets angry over something (people have speculated that it's because Emily didn't want him, which would take this to whole new levels of abusive, but that's technically not in the book) and loses control, turning into a wolf and leaving Emily with permanent scars on her face. His grief and shame at this brings them together, apparently, and Emily only really starts loving him when she has to comfort him for his abuse of her. Due to the fact that Native women are abused on an incredibly high rate, this is disturbing. What's also disturbing is the fact that Emily and Sam's relationship only really forms BECAUSE of this abuse, or at least that's how Eclipse makes it seem. This relationship in general is just really racist towards Indigenous women and Indigenous men, for different reasons, and is a disgusting addition to the book. The clearer this situation becomes the more horrible it is.

This book was interesting for a time, and although I didn't enjoy reading it I was not bored, but these toxic elements made me so angry and sick to my stomach that I cannot justify giving this any more stars than 1 star. Cannot, under any circumstances, recommend.

jpiasci1's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

taylorjenna's review against another edition

Jacob sexually assaults Bella and gets no repercussions. I believe that Charlie even says something along the lines of "give the kid a break. He's young." I'm sorry, but age does not excuse you from assaulting someone

innae's review against another edition

I still think New Moon is my favorite of this series thus far, however I enjoyed this book more than the first one. It drug quite a bit in the beginning when the only thing Bella could discuss was how perfect and wonderful Edward was, it got better once the vampires and the werewolves decided they needed to work together.

New Moon used Romeo and Juliet for comparison, this one used Wuthering Heights - a book I hated. Interesting that our heroine finds that "the monster" Catherine has similarities with herself.

I would also like to say that the stuff I hated most about this book show that Miss Meyer is able to find her inner teenage girl. Because everything is either the most wonderful exciting perfect thing, or it is going to cause me to want to be dead. I remember being a teenager, and when talking to the parents everything was just "ok", but in "reality" everything was an extreme. I am past that now, so it is annoying, but it is accurate for how Bella would act.

I am taking a break from the vampires and the werewolves before heading back into Bella's world.

bluebeewrites's review against another edition

Yeah, I've grown out of these and now that I read more like a reviewer, I see how bad they actually are. x)