Letters from Father Christmas, Centenary Edition, by J.R.R. Tolkien

thavs's review against another edition

J. R. R seems like an amazing father. đź’ś

fendeviper's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

kero17's review against another edition

(letto in ITA) di una dolcezza incredibile. L'unico motivo per cui ha quattro stelle, e non cinque, e per l'edizione e non certo per le lettere in sè, bellissime: se fare le scritte colorate come quelle delle lettere originali poteva essere difficile, poteva essere per lo meno fattibilissimo riprodurre i sottolineati e i maiuscoli; ci sono le foto delle lettere, ma non è così facile seguire da lì e dal testo trascritto.

ivellon's review against another edition

A very lovely book to read during Advent season.
If you can decipher Tolkien's hand writing you should go with these. Some parts are missing from the printed texts (not concering the events at the North Pole but about the family life of the Tolkiens).

saralibrary's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

yaburrow's review against another edition

I just re-read Letters from Father Christmas by JRR Tolkien. I read it and enjoyed it as a child. Imagine how thrilling it must have been for Tolkien's children to receive these letters once a year - and to have to wait a year for the next instalment.

Reading it again as an adult, I was very struck by the contemporary references. In 1930 (with the Great Depression at its height), there was a shortage of toys.

In the early 1930s, there was a resurgence of goblins (though apparently not so many in England). This is clearly a reference to the rise of the Nazis, though couched in language that children could understand.
There are also some oblique references to "my green brother" and "Grandfather Yule". The older version of Father Christmas was depicted clad all in green and decked with greenery.

Tolkien, being an expert on Middle English and Anglo-Saxon, and a devotee of "Northernness" was of course well aware of earlier celebrations of the Winter Solstice: Yule and Modranecht.

The HarperCollins (1999/2004) edition contains facsimiles of most (perhaps all) of Tolkien's Father Christmas Letters, albeit rather small facsimiles, and full transcripts of all the letters. The (1976) edition I read as a child was larger, but I can't remember if it contained transcripts, which are very handy, as Father Christmas's handwriting is very shaky: you have to remember that he was around 1934 years old when he wrote to the Tolkien children!

kmarion's review against another edition

This was really cute :D

jesforeverlostinbooks's review against another edition

What a fun book of compiled letters from Father Christmas to the children of J.R.R. Tolkien. How fun to have a father who would take the time to write to his children as if he was Father Christmas creating a little Christmas magic. The letters spanned from 1920 to 1943. The actual images of the original letters, envelopes and pictures are amazing! Oh and how I love Polar Bear

nyxshadow's review against another edition

Je les conseille a tous les parents!

sunny76's review against another edition

I read The Hobbit last year (2019), but until this week, I hadn't read anything else attributed (used as the letters in the book were written by Father Christmas) to Tolkien. I read Letters from Father Christmas this week. This book includes twenty-three years of letters from Father Christmas to the Tolkien children. The letters describe preparing for Christmas deliveries, polar bear antics, and goblin wars. Color copies of the drawings, envelopes, and letters are included. I was impressed as I never received anything like this from Santa. Highly recommended for parents and grandparents with creative talents.