Sorcerer to the Crown, by Zen Cho

mndln's review

adventurous lighthearted fast-paced

thebookmagpie's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious medium-paced

kdrhoton's review against another edition

This was a pretty slow-going book for the first half or so, but it really picked up after that. It was definitely more character-driven, so if that’s not your thing, you might be a bit bored. There’s a blurb on the cover comparing it to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell and I can definitely see that. Also, there’s a bit on Jane Austen/Regency era drama thrown in there, which I really enjoyed. It was a little like Pride & Prejudice with dragons.

I thought the story was nicely wrapped up here, so I’m a little apprehensive about the sequel. But of course I’m gonna pick it up anyways.

griffinthief's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

survivalisinsufficient's review against another edition

4.5 stars. So glad Zen Cho is getting more attention, this is so much fun (and should be a Miyazaki movie).

barciko's review against another edition

3,5/5*

kyraliagal's review

slow-paced

janlhill's review against another edition

A wonderful wander

I vwas expecting this to be more extreme in its fantasy but instead got to enjoy a kind Regency slow burn with adventures, politics, Society, a headstrong heroine who wants to put things to rights and a quiet hero who loves her. Will definitely be reading the next one.

aloyokon's review against another edition

This book has beautiful prose and really does feel that it's set in a fantasy version of early 19th century Britain.

In a world where real magic is a thing, it's a really bad to start running out of yours. And when that happens to this mystical version of Regency England, the Sorcerer Royal, Zacharias, has to get to the bottom of what's going on. Along the way, he meets Priscilla, a woman with incredible skills and a hidden past.

Shouldn't be too hard, right? Well, except for the bigotry against the first black head sorcerer and multiple assassination attempts against him. After all, our mundane version of the 19th century isn't the only world where prejudice is a thing...

octavia_cade's review against another edition

This was such a fun read! Light and zippy and Jane Austen-ish in its language, and as a fan of Austen I can only approve of that. It's really entertaining, but there's a seriousness underlying all that magical intrigue, and it's in the exploration of race and gender that Cho really shines here. It's not just the big racist plot against Zacharias, its the constant small slaps that he and Prunella are subject to that build up and build up until you're absolutely infuriated on their behalf. Zacharias felt particularly convincing in his character and responses, but I have to admit that although I found Prunella a bit less believable I enjoyed her more. She's a fantastic character, and I'd be super happy to read more of her. That said, I wasn't entirely convinced by the low-key romance between the two, and the hasty beachside conclusion to the main conflict smacked a little of dragon ex machina: fun to read but a little thin, I thought. Still, the book's so entertaining that these are small quibbles.