Matrix, by Lauren Groff

olivianw's review against another edition

I got more than half way with this book because a friend reminded me I didn’t *have* to finish it. I wanted to love it and but just couldn’t get into it. I kept waiting for something to happen but it just didn’t.

emzireads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective

gailinapail's review against another edition

exquisite...

drsdon's review against another edition

Chalk this book up as one that exemplifies that sometimes a book just isn't for you. I really liked both Groff's short story collection, "Florida," and her prior novel, "Fates and Furies." Thus, when I heard about this book and saw it shortlisted for various awards, I naturally wanted to read. Groff's writing is still really, really good; its easy to read her prose and know that skill and art is being done. That said, this book just wasn't for me. I had a hard time really getting engaged in the plot and found the characters, for lack of better wording, bland.

Again, I am fully convinced this has more to do with me than the author (and again, her other works I've read I found fantastic). But, hey, these are subjective reviews, and this book wasn't for me.

perednia's review against another edition

A tall, gawky bastard of nobility is sent away by Eleanor to a lowly English convent. Under Marie's care, the convent thrives and becomes rich. Because of her visions, it expands and protects itself. She struggles with wanting to be loved as she loves, with the machinations of both court and the papacy, with sisters who don't agree with her projects. Through the years, she deals with hubris and humility. On both mystical and practical levels, Marie's journey is transformative. Groff's lyrical prose adds to the poignancy of Marie's yearnings and learnings.

lesliejerkins's review against another edition

4.5 stars. (I feel inadequate rating this because Lauren Groff is obviously a genius.)

What a fascinating subject matter handled with superb artistry in an unexpected way.

booksandbourbon's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

judythedreamer's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

myarn's review against another edition

inspiring reflective slow-paced

ldandridge's review against another edition

emotional mysterious slow-paced