Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

kirsten0929's review against another edition

[2014] Such a fan of her work. I find her writing clear, unadorned, straightforward - no airs and graces here - without sacrificing intelligence, nuance, humor or beauty. Her writing is easy on my ears (eyes?) which makes it so much easier to stay with the complex, multilayered issues she is tackling. So much has happened in the last five years, I couldn’t help thinking, Girl, if only you knew then what we know now! Much of this book made me intensely angry in a way that not many things do. I didn’t realize this was a collection of essays previously published elsewhere, so I did have to adjust to that. May have preferred fewer of the movie-review style essays - although they were really interesting and insightful, too - and instead maybe a few more essays from her own experiences. There wasn’t a lot about the general subject matter that I wasn’t already familiar with, but her personal take on it, her own experiences and perspectives taught me a lot. By the way, imho, she is a most excellent feminist.

e_reader77's review against another edition

Why did it take me so long to read this?! Amazing, thoughtful, intelligent commentary on feminism, race, and popular culture.

maddiiee's review against another edition

Really enjoy Roxane’s writing style and how she weaves her personal narrative into her essays.

mdyang97's review against another edition

It has been a long time since I was active on Goodreads but given the weight of the year that just passed and my new willpower to "turn over a new leaf" in this 2021, I returned. This is the second book finished at the start of the year, and I am more than pleased with picking it up. "Bad Feminist" was a title I'd heard periodically across social media and from those in my circle and I always wanted to have a better grasp of what it means to be a feminist.

Gay's writing was approachable and human. I felt like I was sitting in a coffee shop with her and she was simply telling me these stories about her life, the things she reads or watches and the people she meets. I adored the style of the book in how it combined objective analysis with personal reflection on a variety of issues in the feminist land. As a young woman myself in search of identity, I'm hoping this book can guide me towards a more solid sense of self.

My favorite parts were when Gay is brutally honest about the way she thinks about certain things, as well as the flawed parts of her human experience. I appreciate the incisiveness delivered at cultural artifacts and phenomena we take for granted. I'd like to question the world around me a lot more.

vynguyen's review against another edition

I had a difficult time connecting to the author.

somanybookstoread's review against another edition

informative reflective tense

I hovered between three and four stars here, but felt generous. Roxane Gay is smart and well-articulated. She’s no nonsense, isn’t pretentious, and has written a collection of essays that is part social commentary, part literary criticism, and part personal. She is not heavy-handed, but she is negative. I felt worn down by this collection because I knew every essay I started would be critical, but also critically unhappy and tell me as the reader all of the problems she found in whatever it was she was analyzing. Balance could have been acheived by including some positive examples of life, literature, and society too. This would have had me reach for the work more often. But that’s my personal bias and need for positivity in life. I would read more of Gay’s work. Thanks to this collection, I realized how much I do enjoy reading literary criticism. It had been a while.

agroziak's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative fast-paced

I liked the first and last essays about feminism in general the best. Fast paced book with some highlight sentences in a few essays.

rapunzelholly's review against another edition

informative reflective fast-paced

rainbopagn's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective slow-paced

Gay's rambling style tends well to an essay format. I did find that some of the essays should have been combined as there were times I felt she went over the same territory. You can tell that she is an older Black woman as some of the language reflects terms that are outdated. It is a brutally honest look at life and feminism, though and her perspective is still very much valid and needed today.

yinlin's review against another edition

Rating: 3.5 stars

"No matter what issues I have with feminism, I am a feminist. I cannot and will not deny the importance and absolute necessity of feminism. Like most people, I’m full of contradictions, but I also don’t want to be treated like shit for being a woman.
I am a bad feminist. I would rather be a bad feminist than no feminist at all."