Throne of Glass, by Sarah J. Maas

brookeaf's review against another edition

My rating is closer to a 3.5. Overall, a pretty solid read. The writing gets weak at times, and the love triangle is just as insufferable as any other YA love triangle, but the story was highly entertaining and I'm intrigued to know more about the characters and the world.

99musicfreak99's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

shandrabs's review against another edition

This was ridiculous, yet I was expecting as much for an early YA fantasy. The fantasy aspects were pretty loose here and while I heard “assassin” at nauseam, there was never any assassinating or fighting or…any relevant skills. Yes, yes “The Selection”, err competition. Tiny child defeats burly seasoned warriors with ease, because I said so. Impossible to suspend your disbelief. Not one moment anything the Assassin did was believable, zero.
However, the relationship trash was why I came and stayed. I mean, she likes candy, smut, and puppies…so there’s that.

brodierob's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

an4usha_'s review against another edition

Interesting read! This was my first time I was reading something like this and I think it worked well for the job of making me escape reality for a while. It was a very easy read and I enjoyed it. The reason I give it a 4 stars are for only a few reasons. First of the names! Oh god what was wrong with the names!? How was I supposed to pronounce chaol (I ended up calling him chaos twt) and calaena? Why not just Selena or something along the lines? I know the names should be a little, I don’t know quirky or something but this? Nope. Dorian was a name that did the job. How about we keep the names like that? Good and easy to pronounce. Another thing was how calaena was almost all tell and no show for the most part. I remember how she went on to brag and say how she could take everyone down in seconds, she said that several times! And I was not a big fan of it personally. I have not met people who go and brag about their capabilities all the time, confidence is good but bragging about it is not and in some parts that’s exactly how calaena came out as, for me, like she was bragging. Maybe this is a little spoilery but I was kind of weirded out how abruptly calaena ended whatever happened between her and Dorian. She wasn’t even seen thinking about it. Like that man was ready to do everything and now you just cut it off like that. The only reason it weirded me out was because how abruptly it happened. Also I kind of felt how Dorian only liked a certain part of calaena. He almost overlooked the teeny tiny detail of calaena being an effing assassin and her purpose of coming with him in the first. He was all in love with the calaena who wear dresses and go to balls. It made me think how what calaena said about him using calaena to get his own little adventure may be a little true. All in all what I wanted the book to give was a little excitement and a little promise that it will amuse me further and I think this book did that job. So I am excited and anticipated to read the next book in the series.

edwina's review against another edition

THIS BOOK LITERALLY TORE ME APART AND WHEN I MEAN TORE ME APART, I MEAN IT LITERALLY RIPPED ME TO SHREDS. After hearing so many rave reviews about "Throne of Glass" (the first in its series) by Sarah J. Maas, I told myself that I needed to read no matter how bad or good it was going to be. The minute I picked up the book I knew from that moment that my life was going to change, and at least all my views on young adult books would change. Maas creates a beautiful atmosphere within the land of Adarlan and perceptively gets into the head of her characters especially the main protagonist; Celaena Sardothien (AND I LIKE HER NAME, IT HAS A NICE RING TO IT). The descriptions of what happened near the end of the novel was perfectly executed and explained and there was so much intensity and rawness to it, it felt like I was standing there and watching everything unveil before my eyes. There is so many good things I want to talk about from this book but as you know I don't want to spoil it for others and UGH SO MANY GOOD THINGS. I literally can't wait to read Crown of Midnight and hope that novel will just be as good as the first.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ANYONE WHO LIKES FANTASY, ACTION AND ASSASSINS. <3

linluvsbooks's review against another edition

I nearly stopped reading it several times, but I hate when I give up on a book so I pushed through. My problem was not with the story or plot, but the execution and the character details. I blame the editing process here for not forcing the author to recognize and rectify these faults. The dialogue was not great, but not terrible either.

The below does not contain spoilers beyond what the book flap would reveal.

The main character, Celaena, is supposed to be the most awesome assassin ever. The author immediately makes us aware of Celaena’s ability to pay attention to detail and her surroundings. Yet, the narration also repeatedly shows Celaena neglecting to notice these things in a way which undermined the authenticity of her character for me. Also, bits of Celaena’s past (e.g., an ex-love) are brought up as needed without any groundwork laid in a way that felt jarring and disruptive to the story.

I do also have a problem with the novel’s premise, however. Celaena agreed to work for a king she hates for years in return for her freedom - but I don’t buy it. She hates and mistrusts this king and there is no reasonable explanation for her belief that he would actually free her at the end of her service.

(Also, the competition is a secret but all the guards know who she is and no one tells? Not realistic. Gossip and selling info always happen.)

nahowb's review against another edition

This was what you would expect in the first book of this series. It is world building and character building. From the get-go you get attached to the characters (or at least I did) however, choose your favorite character wisely... they may not be there for the remainder of the series.

When I explain this series to people, I always say it is relatable to the Harry Potter series because the story line in the first couple books are blah.. but then you hit the later books and everything ties together. Characters aren't introduced and then disappear for 2 chapters for nothing and Sarah didn't right it from a somewhat-all-knowing third person POV for nothing. You almost "forget" what happens in this book until the 4th or 5th book because again, you have to start Celeana and her story somewhere. It amazes me that this series happens over the timeline of a year because SO MUCH HAPPENS. I promise you, once you get through this first book, the rest of the series is worth it.

Side note: This is very young adult. There isn't really any "spicy" scenes and the ones that are supposed to be are very metaphorical, they don't necessarily go in-depth the way some people are looking for.

kristinjoyreads's review against another edition

I DNFed this book. Life is too short to force yourself to finish a book you’re not enjoying.

skirksey's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced