Reviews for City of the Plague God, by Sarwat Chadda

roganshannon's review

adventurous challenging funny hopeful inspiring tense fast-paced

kommatator's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

wiltedpages's review

The book opens with Sikander Aziz, a 13 year old boy who works at his parents’ deli and shoves himself into work to avoid dealing with accepting the death of his brother, Mo, who died two years ago. Since then, Mo’s best friend, Daoud has moved into Mo’s room and annoys Sik just like Mo used to.

On one particular night, he hears noises outside so he goes outside of the deli to investigate, armed with a wok (this is important because he only fights with food for the rest of the book). He goes outside to see two ugly alien creatures that are intently discussing how to take Sik out of his home, for unknown reasons. Soon after the creatures get violent, a ninja shows up to save Sik by fighting off Toady and Ratty (the nicknames Sik gives to the monsters).

The next day at school, Sik is covered in hives, courtesy of Sidana and Idiptu (aka Toady and Ratty). Almost immediately, he’s thrown in detention for being snarky in class, along with his classmate, Belet, who’s a snooty, rich, possibly British, student who’s supposedly gotten kicked out of every school she’s been in so far. When they encounter some bullies on their way to detention, Belet beats them up, just like Sik’s mysterious ninja savior from the night before. Wanting answers, he’s brought to Belet’s house, where her adopted mother, Ishtar, explains that Nergal wants something from Sik.

Sik still has no idea what Nergal wants.

I loved this book. I really really hope there’s more. Sarwat Chadda is a fantastic writer and this is the best book I’ve read in over a year, no doubt. 5/5.

For my full review: check out my blog: https://wiltedpages.wordpress.com/2021/01/10/book-review-city-of-the-plague-god-by-sarwat-chadda/

slow_reader's review

emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

A great book that sucked me into a world I couldn't have imagined and a fantastic book for young readers. My younger sibling is interested in it and they only read one book series right now. The cast is loveable but the one problem I had was that it is very fast paced. Sometimes it was a little disorienting, at least for me.

librarianpenguin's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

delirium23's review

Audiobook listen with my kids and this was super well done. Emotional and fast paced and there was a moment where I got all choked up. I love that this is a standalone but I honestly wouldn't mind another book! The author's note at the end was also worth the price of admission.

aurierylla's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

alenka's review

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced

THIS WAS SO GOOD ohmygosh, Sik is such a wonderful character!! He's this salt of the earth, grounded kid who has spent a lot of time working in his parent's deli. He knows he's not exactly the adventuring type, like his brother was, and he's mostly interested in supporting his family and keeping this running - except he is KIND of interested in adventure, but he doesn't know how to fight, and he certainly knows fear. This is a pretty chill, cool ass kid who knows his city and knows how to use his surroundings to survive. He's so freaking charming! And holy crap,
Spoiler MO IS SO CHARMING TOO! I love him and I'm so glad we got to meet him. I really hope future books blatantly refer to Mo and Daoud as queer. Speaking of which...

OK, I pulled this book off the new cart and checked it out immediately because of the reviews which all said things like it being 'strongly suggested' that Mo and Daoud were queer and loved each other. I have been getting more and more frustrated lately with stories that have queer "representation" by basically popping queer people into that sidekick/best friend slot, mentioning like, once that they are queer, and calling it a day. I wanted to know if this story did that too, and...does it? Friends, I don't know! Daoud and Mo both quietly hint that their relationship was more than just friendship. They are brown teen, Muslim boys, and there's a lot against them in the world. It makes sense that they wouldn't be boldly out, and god, when Daoud explained to Sik that he had tried to show Sik his family the portfolio, tried to show them his love for Mo? I really felt that. It isn't an out and proud queer kind of rep, but it feels like a realistic kind of rep. Coming out is hard, it's not always safe, and sometimes it's just hard to say the words. It makes so much sense to me that it wouldn't be easy for Daoud - Daoud, who lives with Mo's family, and whose own family is never mentioned, which hints a possible coming out that didn't go so well. There is a lot here, and it's kind of subtle, but this is a book for older readers (I put it in our tween collection) and I don't think this is bad rep, or rep that sidelines it's characters. But maybe others will feel differently! I don't know.

ANYWAY. This was fantastic, I absolutely loved Sik, his voice, his scrappy underdog style of tricking enemies - all of it was so freaking good. However. I am super down for book two being all about Belet ballet fighting her way into Kurnugi. Gimme!

megj23's review

adventurous funny hopeful medium-paced

stacieh's review

Manhattan is is being attacked by the plague god, Nergal. Thirteen year old, Sik, is grieving the death of his brother and helping his parents run the family deli. Nergal thinks Sik holds the key to eternal life and Sik is immortal but doesn’t it know it yet.

When I explained the plot to my 10 year old, she tells me that Manhattan gets destroyed a lot in the Rick Riordan presents books. That made me laugh. I really enjoyed this book. It explored the theme of being the hero when others say you can’t. Identity and family relationships play a big role in this tale. I loved the mythology mixed with realism.

Sik learns to appreciate his family and life that’s left even without his brother. He makes new friends along the way. I really enjoyed this adventure . Sik was a fabulous character. I loved seeing him grow as the story progressed. I’ll definitely be sharing this with my mythology loving children.