Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

lolloreads00's review against another edition

Will was a wealthy young businessman with a very adventurous lifestyle until he got in a motorcycle accident. He lost almost all mobility and needs around the clock care. Louisa was hired as his assistant for the next few months. When she finds out about his plan she starts thinking about ways to change his mind.

TW: self harm, mc accident, medics assisted death, sexual assault

It’s just like the movie, besides some extra details and chapters. I really liked the multiple pov and the fact that you got to hear more from Will’s parents. And the maze scene was so good, missed opportunity for the adaptation! I could picture every scene as it played out. And that’s high praise because Me before you is one of my go to movies.

It’s very emotional and absolutely heartbreaking at times but Moyes still manages to brighten the mood at times. With Wills humor and the fun adventures they go on together. I was smiling thru the tears and honestly the ending is one of the best ones I’ve ever read. Can’t wait to read the next one!

vaibhavsh2624's review against another edition

No book has ever overwhelmed me with emotions like this one did. Me Before You is a story of love, care and sacrifice but it's so much more. It's one of those books which make you think and asses your life and feel grateful for it's blessings. This book was Heartwarming and heartbreaking, all at once. I'm happy that i read this beauty.

tomhardygirl's review against another edition

I CANT I CANT I CANT I CANT STOP STOP
i knew what was going to happen and though i’ve recently become quite peaceful with the idea of death i’ll always be weepy and i balled and i feel sick but of course i love it i do i do ... it’s feel good comfort even if there r tears i love it i love u will

tok_al's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted sad medium-paced

missjuliamazing's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad medium-paced

I’m on the fence about this book. One one hand, the characters were incredibly engaging. But on the other hand, an abled bodied writer depicting a disabled character’s life, struggles, and decisions without so much as consulting a disabled person just doesn’t sit right with me.

I think a lot of nuance of death with dignity was portrayed well. I think the main flaw in this book (other than being written by an able bodied person with no consultation) is the lack of disabled characters. The message boards Louisa uses didn’t feel fleshed out enough to be impactful. I wanted to see Will interact with other disabled characters who had differing opinions about assisted suicide. The ending was a tear jerker, but something about it felt as if it only existed for the sake of the drama.

raereadings's review against another edition

Bored

r0wen04's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted reflective slow-paced

kellabee's review against another edition

dark emotional funny sad medium-paced

garnethalo's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

sandeeisreading's review against another edition

Reaction After Reading the Book (1)

You only get one life. It’s actually your duty to live it as fully as possible.

After finishing this book, I was sobbing uncontrollably. It really pulled quite a few heartstrings, which I did not expect.

tumblr_m1dk98VnFt1r6t6yc

583055

To be honest, I wasn't really going to re-read this book if the movie with Sam Claflin and Emilia Clark wasn't coming out. But I was so glad I did.

me-before-you-extract-trailer-788x306

This book would make you think of how much can you really give the person you love what they want. Do you give in to their desires, even if it meant destroying your own happiness? Would you be selfish enough to follow your own heart, but in turn hurting the person you love?

But what is right?

What is wrong?

How would you tell someone that the decision that they're making for their life is wrong? How can you know that you're right and they're wrong? Why do you think you have better control over their lives that themselves?

This book finished with me asking more questions, that getting the answers I want.

Reaction After Reading the Book (10)

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT ROMANCE

I think a good romance novel is when it doesn't try to do so much to make itself a romance novel. This book didn't try too hard to put all those cheesy lines and over the top gestures to make a woman/man happy because, honestly, love isn't always like that.

This book dealt not only of romantic relationships, but also family relationships. I liked how it focused quite a lot on both Will and Louisa's family, without it seeming to out of place.

LOUISA AND WILL

tumblr_o4acxnezVi1uzomqmo1_500

The relationship that brewed between Louisa and Will was something I really didn't see coming. I knew they were bound to like each other, I mean, why wouldn't they? This is a freakin' romance novel. But what I didn't expect was how genuine it felt. There wasn't anything forced about it at all.

I've always been a fan of love-hate relationships in books but, there are some, that don't really do it too well. This one did. Will and Louisa were so different from each other, you think they won't find a common ground. But they did, and it was amazing.

Louisa is a character that I related to quite a lot. It's funny how I found her annoying when I read this a few years ago, when I was younger. Now, that we are at the same age, I feel that I understand why she is the way she is and I feel that I'm living the same life. I am not living the life I want to live. I am stagnant, just like she is, because I'm scared of what else is out there. Throughout the book, she really matured as a character, especially towards the end of the book. She had a lot of character development that really made me tear up.

With regards to Will, I really liked him too. He was a douche at first, but come on, the guy completely lost everything that makes him happy. A lot of you may disagree with me, but I feel that made the right decision for himself. I feel so sorry for him when no one could get what he wants. Just because he is disabled, that doesn't mean he can't choose the kind of life he wants to live, or if he wants to live this life he's living, in this case. I may not agree to the choices he made, but it made me respect him even more as a person, not wanting to give up the only thing that he can control; his choices.

IT FELT REAL

I have read a lot of romance novels and watched a lot of them too. A lot of them would have some sad parts but, eventually, would have their happily ever after. But that's not always the case. Not everyone would have that. Life is not always full of sunshine and rainbows.

Sometimes, life is shit. It fucks you up.

I know a lot of people find that one of the topic from this book is mishandled, or misrepresented. I'm not going to agree or disagree. I feel that people, disabled or not, have their own right to choose what type of life they want to lead. You have a responsibility to yourself, and not everyone else. You don't live, just so that others could be happy.  You live because you want to.

And this book, showed us that not everything ends up the way we wants to end up. We can't force everyone to do what we want them to do.

LIFE IS MADE UP OF CHOICES

Just because someone's disabled, that doesn't mean other people who aren't, should make a decision for them. This book showed us how important our choices are. It shapes us into the kind of life we would live in the future.

THE WRITING

I really liked how this was written. The characters were really well rounded. All of them. Aside from Louisa and Will, their parents were also some of that I really enjoyed reading about. Patrick was annoying, but that only meant he was written well for me to be annoyed with him.

Reaction After Reading the Book (11)

THE FUCKING ENDING

Just because I respect Will's decision, doesn't mean I agree to it. It broke my heart to be honest. The ending of this book is where bulk of the heartbreaking stuff is, so be ready for tissues. I would have wanted this book to have a better ending. Something that might satisfy my love for happy endings. But this is just my personal preference. I appreciate that it wasn't trying to be just an ordinary romance novel though.

Kudos to that.

THE PACING

I'm not particularly fond of slow paced book, and this book was, definitely, one of them. There was a lot of character development on Louisa's part, which were necessary, but was dragged a bit too long on some parts.

Reaction After Reading the Book (4)

I really did like this book. Loved it, actually.

It made me cry.

It made me laugh too.

The chemistry between Louisa and Will was undeniable. They do like each other, but they weren't sure they did yet at first, but it was good. I really liked it.

I'm not going to say I am an expert on how disabled people feel, but I do think that Will is just one of those who felt this way. Not everyone will, but there are some who might feel the same way as Will.

Reaction After Reading the Book (8)

11870085

I think this is the only book that I can think of, right now, that sort of, has a similar feel to it. Not the entire thing, but it deals with family and romantic relationships too.

Reaction After Reading the Book (9)

The soundtrack for the movie is amazing!!! Holy crap. Go listen to it. NOW!

Reaction After Reading the Book (12)

Have you read this book? What did you think about it?

aria