Go with the Flow, by Lily Williams, Karen Schneemann

elude's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

kayla_hoskinson's review against another edition

There is truly something for every person has or will bleed in this charming graphic novel. Illustrated entirely in hues of red (with an additional nod to a 'typical' single cycle on the chapter title pages), a close group of 4 friends--all with vastly different experiences with life & menstruation--take on their school's full disregard for menstruation, period poverty, and inequality. Other highlight's include Christine's budding understanding of her same-sex attraction, Brit's experience with the pain of endometriosis, and the beautiful way the group experiences and maturely solves a conflict when Abby's protest goes "too far" without their consent.

aqilahreads's review against another edition

A GRAPHIC NOVEL ABOUT MENSTRUATION?? Y E S.

"nobody wants to talk about it. i wish there was a way to open the conversation. i wish periods weren't shameful".

this is such a necessary read, showing how important it is to talk about periods, having proper support for those who menstruate incld. making sanitary products readily available. the pacing could have been better but im still so glad that this book exists & also such a cute friendship story too :")

cant help but to also notice how the art colour palette used is various shades of red which totally matched the subject matter of the story. period stigma must stop. the information section about menstruation at the back was helpful too & i honestly felt that this book really serves a good purpose to raise awareness in general. what a great start!!!!

rachofcourse's review against another edition

This book is PHENOMENAL! I wish it existed when I was in middle or high school. It’s real and honest and I hope it helps girls and anyone who has periods learn that they are normal and acceptable things to talk about.

anneelise's review against another edition

Love, love that there's a book like this about menstruation! I can't say I would've actually wanted to read a book about this topic when I was younger, but it would've been good for me to and I think it's fantastic that something like this is available. The art is really fun, the colorway made me chuckle and the focus on friendship is nice.

Don't love that the solution to actually getting tampons and pad refills at their school is to get noticed by going viral and to start a crowd funding campaign. Maybe the total luck of this solution is more realistic than getting the powers that be to listen to women about menstrual health, but ugh.

gabbyreadsalot's review against another edition

Yay for period health!

bookishbrook's review against another edition

Exceptional. Candid. Relatable. This graphic novel is one of my new top favourites ♥️
More than anything, this is a friendship story. But it happens to be a friendship story that centres around what it means to have a period as a young person. I don’t know any other book that does this and I truly think that the author has created something special. There are so many nuances that she gets right; one that stood out to me was the principal’s reaction to Abby. Another is how the characters approach their activism (sometimes best intentions can cloud delivery).
I will be recommending this to every young person with a period (or who may get a period later) that I know.
I was also so impressed with the use of colour throughout the novel: the illustrations are entirely in hues of red and pink, yet don’t feel overdone. The colour really adds to the story in a subtle way rather than screaming “we’re talking about bleeding.” A+.

thefluteyfeminist's review against another edition

Wow, what a lovely and beautiful book!! I think it’s much needed for teens to read especially. I wish the language about periods had been more consistently inclusive, and that there was more overt gayness but otherwise, thoroughly enjoyed it!!

sab_rose's review against another edition

I wish that I had more mensuration positive books when I was going through puberty. It would help with the lingering shame I feel to this day.

I loved how each of the main characters had different types of periods and issues that come with them.

I had to take off a star but Abbey came off to like a walking PSA rather than an actual character. There is a line between a passionate character and one that you are using to just pump out information. It was important information but it made Abbey less realistic to me.

jessjjjones's review against another edition

This book is great for anyone who is about to get their period but also highlighting what it's like for young people who get their period and how it affects everyone differently. I think it was a beautiful crafted story about friendship, the struggles of adolescence and finding yourself and your people. I highly recommend this for people of all ages. Fantastically written and illustrated!