Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

lullu's review against another edition

Screaming, crying, going insane. The skeletons in the valley came to life and I balled my eyes out, wtf.

writewithren's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

nat_081006's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

It's strange and I like it?

captainahanica's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

overall fun and enjoyable. I like the deeper exploration into magic, what it means, where it comes from, and how it can be used.

vexedtonightmare's review against another edition

“Friendship of the unshakeable kind. Friendship you could swear on. That could be busted nearly to breaking and come back stronger than before.”

reread 2022
they mean the world to me.

fleurlf907's review

adventurous emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

julesjoulesjewels's review against another edition

Again, I can't even deal with how tight Stiefvater's sentence-level writing is. And, again, her pacing is unparalleled apart from one or two jagged instances (like when she sort of just dropped the trial after Gansey and Ronan showed up? Like I think we're supposed to just assume everything turned out okay, but a sentence's worth of closure would have been appreciated).

One thing that has always been true of Stiefvater's writing but that I especially appreciated in this novel is that she is AMAZING at building up to a big reveal. In a writing class I took as an undergrad I remember my teacher describing how a really good twist should make a reader feel; it has to be surprising without totally coming out of left field. The reader should think back on everything that has happened in the story up to the point of the reveal and everything should click into place. It should still be an "OH SHIIIIIIT" moment, but it should have been simmering since the beginning. The hard thing about that is the balance; building toward the reveal without laying the foreshadowing on too heavy and inadvertently giving it away.

Stiefvater is a MASTER at this. Every single time a Big Thing happens, I have the response my writing teacher described: I rifle through "throwaway" moments that have been happening since the beginning and the pieces always line up perfectly. The entire feel of the book changes, but because a side of it that has been lurking throughout has finally been thrown into the light, the rest of the iceberg is finally visible.

ONLY THREE MORE DAYS UNTIL IT ALL COMES CRASHING DOWN AROUND US FAM!!!!

gardenofroses's review against another edition

Again, I was deep in a reading slump but I will try to reread it again another day

karenbookshelf's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

Oh how I missed this series (╥﹏╥)

Did it take me 4 years to get back to it?
Did I regret not reading it sooner?
Kind of.
Will I finish the series this month?
Absolutely.

There is no way I will not continue with book 4 immediately after this one, because that cliffhanger is just illegal.
Like what do you mean that epilogue ended the way it did??? ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)

I literally missed every single character in this series. It felt so comforting to read about them and their pursuit of Glendower again.
Although, I forgot so many things (again 4 years between book 2 and 3 ( ˘▽˘)っ♨) and I had to check out a quick summary of book 2, it did not lessen my enjoyment of the book one bit.
This kind of YA book is the kind I missed because it's so entertaining and doesn't make me feel like I'm so out of the genre.

One thing I will say is that they introduced one of the most annoying, untrustworthy and bitchy characters I have read in a while. No way. Piper was just inserted to play on my nerves.
I did not trust her one bit ever since her introduction, and the ending proved that my judgment was indeed correct. Soooo 凸( ` ロ ´ )凸

Gansey is still one of my fav characters and he just needs a hug. Actually all of them need hugs. They are all in desperate need of one. These poor teenagers (づ◡﹏◡)づ

Anyway, I already started book 4, and I can't wait for my questions to be answered in this one (✧ω✧)

I'll finish off this with one quote that made my heart flutter.

"SHE WAS ALL RIGHT," Jesse assured him.
"My head knew that," Gansey said. "But the rest of me didn't."

- Gansey my boy (つω`。)

renuked's review against another edition

I love this series for a variety of reasons. One being the characters. They are all so deeply flawed and have so many individual characteristics, yet they manage to balance each other and connect. Their group dynamic is one of my favorite things, and I love how each of them loves each other to such an extreme point that it becomes dangerous.

In this particular book, Blue and Gansey are still struggling to reconcile their (very forbidden) feelings for each other. And interestingly enough, they need to keep it a secret from the rest of the group because any special relationships between characters automatically stir up jealousy and possessiveness. As a group, they can be highly destructive sometimes. They're also all recovering from the various conflicts between them and the new roles they are all discovering. Plus, Blue is still reeling from the disappearance of her mother. Suffice to say, this next installment gets pretty good.

Another reason is the humor and clever language. Maggie Stiefvater can write. Her characterization of Jesse Dittley made me laugh out loud and fall in love. I loved the dialogues and the emotion behind certain passages. The energy behind Gansey and Blue feels charged and tense, and I can practically feel their frustration. As a reader, I thrive on her words.

The only thing that continuously bothers me is the plot of the books itself. I just don't connect to their goal of finding Glendower. At some points, I just get confused and I don't always follow the legend. Perhaps, it is just me, but I find their quest a little dry in places. I keep forgetting certain connections and I don't see the endgame that Stiefvater is leading up to. Each book increases with tension, but towards what I'm not quite sure.

Overall, the language and characters make me fall in love with the series every day. I'm desperate to know what happens next. All the characters are so incredibly different and fascinating. The ladies at 300 Fox Way, the hit man, the manipulator and his surprisingly villainous wife, Blue, and the Raven Boys themselves.