Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, by Margaret Sidney

erinag02's review

lighthearted medium-paced

coencou's review

This was a fun little read. The condensed version of the actual book. It made me giggle and smile and wish that someday I can have children like the Five Little Peppers. Such cute kids!

nce14210's review

The Five Little Peppers is one of those sweeter than a sticky bun books that I love. I so appreciate a positive attitude in the face of tribulations. It is a lovely old fashioned book. I'm ready for the next adventures.

debnanceatreaderbuzz's review

The Peppers are horribly poor, too poor for the children to go to school, too poor to celebrate Christmas, too poor to even buy an envelope to mail a letter in. Then the Peppers meet Jasper and their lives do a complete turnaround.

Five years I've had the Five Little Peppers. I've finally completed it!

aemsea26's review

I read my great-grandmother's copy and really all I remember is that someone was named Jasper.

luann's review

How did I miss reading any of the Five Peppers books growing up? I knew about them because the family in [b:Cheaper by the Dozen|7886348|Cheaper by the Dozen|Frank B. Gilbreth Jr.|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517IJCOfupL._SL75_.jpg|1925199] loved the books. But I never came across any Five Peppers books in my library or thought to seek them out myself - until now! The newfangled ebook technology makes these older books easily available and very affordable - practically free! :)

I love the Five Peppers! This is just the first book, but I'll definitely be reading more in the future. This isn't an action-packed story. It's just a nice story about nice people who don't have much of worldly things. They don't feel sorry for themselves but are grateful for each other and their strong family bonds.

The story definitely feels dated, but that is part of why I loved it so much. Would today's children love these stories? I think it depends a lot on the children. There are definitely things they could learn and enjoy from the Five Peppers.

My one problem with this book was the ending. It was so abrupt! I wasn't ready for it! I'm very glad there are more Five Peppers books to read.

sstallryan's review

I can't say The Five Little Peppers has aged that well. In comparison to fast-paced thrilling novels like Harry Potter, this one just plods along. I was happy that my son liked it as much as he did. It certainly was an eye-opener for him to read what life might have been like growing up in the olden days. He loved the expression, "My wockety!" and how Joel was chastised for using improper language by saying it. The adventures of the Pepper children are very tame but not unlike our everyday adventures . . . getting lost, having a bad day, getting sick, meeting new friends . . . so it is worth a read if only to remind yourself that novels can be worthwhile even when they are rather ordinary.

awamiba's review

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (Aladdin Classics) by Margaret Sidney (2006)

emitchellwrites's review

This was my favorite book as a kid. I found it in one of my old boxes the other day and realized that I haven't thought about it for years. It was amazing... I think.. haha.

scatteredyarns's review

A charming, fluffy story about a poor little family waiting for their ships to come in. A pleasant read that in glad I took the time to enjoy.