Reviews tagging Sexual content

O Xará, by Rafael Mantovani, Jhumpa Lahiri

juby_uwu's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

This book was definitely ahead of its time. Lahiri really authentically captures the experience of simply anyone who has heritage in one country, but has been brought up in another. All the questions that Nikhil asks, the emotions he feels had definitely crossed me, especially during childhood. Its really sad that many of us deeply relate to this experience, but atleast there's a book to shed light on it.
----------------------------
However, there are some moments when describing Nikhil's love interests where the appearance is objectified, the word "suggestively" shows up many a time.

emersonseyeball's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

debookgeek's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

words_and_coffee's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad slow-paced

silver_valkyrie_reads's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

I have to start by saying that this is not the sort of book I normally enjoy, so just having finished it ranks it my most favorite literary fiction of all time. Instead of the 'lovely' *cough* overly descriptive *cough* writing that usually marks literary fiction, this writing is simple and compelling.

It also helps that the characters give me a window into a different life and different set of circumstances than I've experienced, which I always enjoy. Even better, I found their 'different' circumstances strangely relatable in some ways. I don't come from an immigrant family, but I do know what it's like to have a family culture that's vastly different from everyone else around.

So, five star writing, with some five star moments, and overall a four star experience because I still struggle a bit with the very slow, literary style.

Except... Well, staying spoiler free, let's just say that on occasion some very poor decisions are made in the course of the story, and some of them disturbed me enough to really drag down the experience, hence the 3.5 star rating instead of four.

I'm glad I read this story, and parts of it will probably stay with me for a very long time, but I don't see myself being likely to revisit it.