Adam Bede, by George Eliot

babayagaschickenlegs's review against another edition

slow-paced

icandothis_1's review against another edition

I struggled reading this as I'm not very good at reading speech that has been written in dialect. I found the book hard to get in to. From about half way through I found that I was looking forward to finding out what happened to the characters. Did struggle again near the end with the harvest festival scene which seemed totally irrelevant to the story.
When I started the book I didn't think I would finish it so I'm pleased I persevered.

kerrdevine's review against another edition

hopeful reflective slow-paced

andersenhannah02's review against another edition

George Eliot is a fantastic writer and I am so glad that I got the chance to read this. I have so many mixed feelings, and I am honestly not sure what to think about the ending. I highly recommend you give this a try, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

kk1's review against another edition

dark

woolfardis's review against another edition

[Short review from memory to remind myself of my thoughts before I re-read and re-review]

(No memory of this? Re-read perhaps?)

sixdaysago's review against another edition

withswords's review against another edition

reflective sad slow-paced

One of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Slow, careful, quiet.

eunicez's review against another edition

challenging reflective slow-paced

librarianna81's review against another edition

I really enjoyed and was very intrigued by the story which related to the persecution of a woman accused of "child murder" (not abortion; this happened after it was already born), and how the people of the time reacted to the accusations and imprisonment. But I didn't find the book all that moving...and, in fact, I found the characters frustrating and rather one-dimensional. I thought the story was pretty bland and largely predictable, and I found I was angry at how saintly Adam's brother was about certain things (don't want to spoil anything). Every character had his or her caricature, and they stuck to it through to the end. And I am sometimes frustrated by George Eliot, because while I know that some of the things she writes about women was tongue-in-cheek (seeing as she wrote under a masculine nom de plume), the way her female characters are can b e pretty awfully stereotypical. Anyway, it was a quaint story, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. I feel like I have more to say, but I think I'm being more redundant than anything else right now, and not getting my point across. Blah.