josephinelemonade's review against another edition

id put this one off for a while because i know so many people were disappointed by it but oh god. this is the perfect book for me.

i can see why people might not like it, because it does take ages for something to really happen but aaaaaaahhhh it's just so so so good anyway.

+ i listened to the audiobook while reading and

itschelseaw's review against another edition

Slow to pick up; the last 50 pages had the most action and grip for me. Seeing the world through Ines’ eyes I think kept it from being too intense. She had a detached way of interacting with the world. Theo, man, what a disappointment he was. The betrayal in the tower when Viktoriya visited Ines the second time? WHEW. Overall good, it kept me guessing but left some good clues along the way.

indy1527's review against another edition

I’m still waiting for something to happen.

dexyreads_'s review against another edition

2.5*

rdreading9's review against another edition

3.5 stars. I listened to this one thanks to libro.fm. I think this would be a great book for the college age crowd. Creepy mind control project etc.............. I really liked the ending.

caitliterature's review against another edition

"I've spent my whole life reading beautiful books and watching beautiful movies, dreaming that there was some real place out there where I would fit in and be beautiful, too."

daniwalker18's review against another edition

this was a hard book to rate because it is extremely character driven and slow at some points, but i genuinely could not stop thinking about this book and wanted to keep reading it to find out the secrets of this school.

i was confused when i first started this book because i went in expecting a thriller, but this is definitely literary (light) suspense. there are definitely secrets that you want to know but what kept me reading was the characters, mostly our main character Ines. she was damaged and hard to support sometimes but i always wanted to see what she would discover and how her time at Catherine would go.

overall, this book taught me that i can definitely vibe with literary fiction and slow, character driven stories that keep me intrigued. i thought i would rate this lower at first, but i’m pleasantly surprised that it didn’t happen.

readem's review against another edition

Did she feel better now?
Or did she feel nothing?

3.5 stars? uhhhh I really don't know how to rate this, but I think 3.5 is the most accurate I can get.

This book really took me on a rollercoaster. I'd say the first half, maybe even two thirds was potentially 5 star worthy (that seems to be a trend with all of the books I've read recently...), but the ending didn't do it for me.

I found myself so intrigued for the whole book, eager to flip pages and find out more, so my reading experience was definitely enjoyable, it just wasn't fulfilling. I know many people like that aspect-- that nothing is really answered, and while I can be okay with that in certain contexts, this was not one of them.

I felt like this book was a huge crescendo that led to the pling! of a single triangle. That being said, I did enjoy my time reading the majority of it, so I have to recognize that. I enjoyed the writing, and so many questions the novel brought up (however, none of them were answered...). The set-up of this story kind of reminded me of Get Out, except Catherine House does not offer the cleverly haunting reveals that Peele pulls off in Get Out.

I think overall I like what this story could have been, but not what it ultimately ends up being.

nawalieee's review against another edition

Bro what was this book??????

I finished this last night and I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it? I feel like this book exists in contradictions because there was so much going on but at the same time nothing really happened. I think the author did a really great job creating an eerie and claustrophobic atmosphere, making the school itself a living, breathing character. But beyond that, the "mystery" part of it fell really flat for me and Ines was a difficult character to get behind, mostly because she was so apathetic about everything. I'm not sure if the author was trying to portray Ines' grief and depression but it felt muddled and annoying. Thomas does write beautifully though, which is what kept me going but the ending definitely didn't feel worth the time I spent trying to get through this book.

nightshift8's review against another edition