Are Prisons Obsolete?, by Angela Y. Davis

kennedy_couch's review

Short and succinct but powerful read! I wish the chapter on abolitionist alternatives was longer - the majority of the book is spent building the case for why prison abolition is necessary (I think effectively).

sampgo's review

!!!!

nrhilmer's review

challenging informative

doc_erinnicole's review

This gives an excellent overview of the prisons and the rise of the prison industrial complex. I like Davis' writing style and her ability to make it plain. (Also, I just realized this is my first Davis full length book-- can't believe it took me so long to get here). The only drawback was that I didn't get a full sense of what abolition looks like. It's clear it would involve many, many changes to many, many systems (including housing, education, immigration policy, mental health care, etc. etc.) and given the state of our governmental legislature right now, I just can't see us getting to a place of abolition, so I leave this book feeling even more hopeless than going into it....which I don't think was Davis' intention.

alkrum's review

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

sarajesus95's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

charlietheraspberry's review

challenging hopeful informative medium-paced

mollief's review

challenging inspiring slow-paced

jolibon4e's review against another edition

challenging informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

kesnit's review

fast-paced

A very interesting look at the history of prisons and what changes should be made in the future. How her ideas would work in practice is open for discussion, but she makes a good case for her ideas. Worth a read.