We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir, by Samra Habib

morathornton's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

reads_byjess's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

mooncrab's review against another edition

This is an excellent memoir and a special story that can really change lives of other queer Muslims who struggle to feel anything but utterly alone. It could be the difference between life & death for some people, especially with the resources Habib provides for other queer Muslims like herself. Religion aside, it’s an emotional account of growing into ones’ queerness, chock-full of confusion, guilt, and the excitement of being your true self. Unlike other memoirs I’ve read recently, this one flows beautifully as it is told chronologically like fiction. It’s eye-opening for everyone and relatable for many.

beeneverreads's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

it's wonderful having queer Muslims sharing their journey so openly, giving others who face similar struggles the figure they can look up to and see someone like them, to know they can do it, they can be okay.
i Will be recommending this book to my best friend who is queer and a Muslim, and at the beginning of their journey, when the time is right <3

nialiversuch's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

distarr's review against another edition

emotional inspiring relaxing fast-paced

alexaliz's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

pitsikakku's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective sad fast-paced

lmadill_fourhousesreview's review against another edition

I felt that this book went too fast! I wanted to know more details and I felt that the author at times skimmed through some important moments.

I very much appreciated the story. The bravery and the activism presented were amazing and it definitely had me thinking the entire way through. Not to mention how incredible the writing was !

justfoxie's review against another edition

One of those rare books I read in a single sitting. I admit to being a bit skeptical when this book dropped through my letter box via the Queer Book Box, but wow was I wrong. In many ways this is a 21st century version of [b:Zami: A New Spelling of My Name|395220|Zami A New Spelling of My Name|Audre Lorde|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1388344915l/395220._SY75_.jpg|1252977] which I read a few months a go. It's a coming of age and speaks intensely to an experience we (as white, non-marginalised people) don't often get to know. And the message I take away from this book, as my own queerness and understanding of myself takes a new turn is: I don't think fear should dictate how we seek answers, connect, and help each other heal

Thank you Samra Habib. And thank you Queer Book Box for putting this through my letter box.