Mind the Gap Volume 1: Intimate Strangers, by Jim McCann

mayar_reading_stuff's review

Though the reviews I read implied it was mediocre, I found quite amazing.

The story so far is more interesting in the physical body world more than the subconscious (ghost? soul?) world. but having a wandering soul that can enter nearly dead bodies indicates a good potential.

I found myself very disturbed with Elle's family. You know you hit the bottom when the greatest threat to your life -even after getting viciously attacked- is your own family. I HATE Elle's brother more than the other bad people in the story combined, fingers crossed he get's killed.

trayisreading's review

This book was never on my radar. It was on display at the library and I felt like the woman on the cover was calling me to her. "Check me out. Take me home with you." That was a few months ago and I've finally read it. I am so glad I decided to read this. Rarely do I read books that I know nothing about. This one was interesting enough it keep me reading. I have way more questions that answers of who wants Elle dead and why but I'm eager to read the other volumes and fond out more.

shadda's review

The individual issues are good but the TPB itself doesn't flow well together. Either this series does not hold to the usual 5-issue arc structure and the publisher didn't get the message, or (more likely given the volume's name) McCann simply took the full first arc to introduce his cast. You could argue it's a conscious choice, allowing the reader to share Elle's feelings of anticipation and frustration. It's certainly intriguing enough to get me to read the next volume.

vickar's review

The art is lovely. The story is intriguing, although it didn't really captivated me. The last pages in the single issues explaining the clues to the readers are really annoying, I believe the only comic that *really* needs that is Morning glories, and it's definitely not a plus. I mean, you put the clues there, it's up to the reader to find them, not to the writer to show them.

amandanan's review

The concept is fantastic, but the first installment was a little confusing. Intrigued to find out what the hell is going on.

arf88's review

This is not a story that spoon feeds you, it starts confusing, and only gets worse. By the end of the book I had more questions than answers, nothing is as it seems, but I'm excited to get on to the next trade. The only let down with this book for me was the colouring. The art is nice and clean, but the colouring reminds me of early digital before the publishers learnt what they were doing.

a_h_haga's review

I'm not sure if it's just me or what, but I have no idea what I just read.
The art is beautiful and right up my lane, but I felt like there was too much going on with too little info. Not sure if I'll bother reading on, even if it's a finished series and it's relativly short

djocho's review

Intruiging, but a little scattered. Vol. 1 sets the scene but doesn't give us too much more. Lots of moving parts seem about to happen, but instead other bits happen. There seems to be a large conspiracy, but the central point is obscured. And so, like many continuing series, judgement must be reserved until we see some reveals.

jjuliaagriss's review

Pretty realistic art (not really my style though) is pretty to look at and I found the plot to be kinda lacklustre. Is it going supernatural? Spooky? Sci-fi? We'll see...

2.5/5

brittanyallyn's review

Some of the dialogue was really awkward, such as people referring to each other by "sister" and such in ways meant to be be expositional but were instead clunky and awkward.