The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

bookishrealm's review

It's unbelievable that it took me so long to get to this book. I have to be the last librarian on earth to have read it!

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is such a well known title that it technically doesn't need any introduction. So let's just move on to what I adored about this book....

What Worked: Selznick did an outstanding job of genre blending with this book (as is the formatting of this book). I knew a little bit about The Invention of Hugo Cabret before reading it, but I wasn't anticipating a dose of historical fiction, realistic fiction, and some hints at magic. Each character felt well defined and added substance to the book. Also, I did not know that parts of it were loosely based off one of the first French magicians and filmmakers, Georges Melies. What a brilliant way to incorporate a piece of history into a beautifully designed and digestible book for all ages.

Overall, it's easy to understand why this book is so highly praised and adored. It breaks the mold of genre and format in terms of children's literature. Since it's publication, Brian Selznick has written a number of other titles and I cannot wait to dive into them.

janaroos's review

Mixed format of graphic novel and film and text, written simply and appropriate for children, use real-life character, fantastical feel, didn't really do it for me.

jct_unspoiledapple's review

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring sad medium-paced

hil_knecht's review

My 9 yo and i read this aloud together.

meowserly's review

Magical and delightful. Plus the movie is an excellent adaptation.

alexpoling's review

I loved this book. I really did. I read it in one sitting, though honestly I'm not sure how long it took me to read it because I didn't look at the time when I started. I think it was around 3 hours, but I spent a lot of time staring at the pictures. Also, the pictures! I LOVED THEM. When it comes to graphic novels, the art is very important to the enjoyment of the book, and it's obviously pretty subjective. Personally, I loved it. It looks a lot like my own drawings, but better and more thought-out.

In terms of story, it was innocent, yet really good. It's the kind of book I wish I'd read as a child, and definitely one that I'll be reading to any children I meet in the future. (I don't know many children currently..) Hugo was so lovable and easy to root for! Even though I'm not super into machinery or filmmaking, I still really enjoyed that aspect of the book.

I think I probably would have enjoyed this book even more if I'd read it with a small child. I mean, maybe that's just me, as I quite like small children, but I really would've. That being said, I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to take a break from those seriously angsty books we're all so familiar with and read something a little more lighthearted. Everything in this book is so innocent! Even the stealing! THE THIEVERY IS INNOCENT AND ADORABLE GUYS.

The only complaint I have is that I genuinely had trouble holding this book. I usually hold books up when I read them, but I couldn't do that with this one because it's heaviness made my hands sad.

kristianawithak's review against another edition

This is so magical and wonderful. It's a charming story with a unique form. The physical book has as many pages devoted to drawings as the pages filled with words, both play a part in moving the story along.

The audio version comes with a CD with the pictures (I beleive, I didn't really look at it, since I have a copy of the book) and a great amount of audio tracks that I accompany the pictures.

It was great and I think anyone would love it.

gatomochalivre13's review

adventurous hopeful lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

kirstenrose22's review

I have mixed feelings on this one - the format (graphic novel/traditional novel hybrid) gets a full 5 stars from me. It is really well done and evocative and conveys the right mood and all that. And the pictures and the book design and all that - gorgeous. Just the story, on its own merits? Eh. It's okay.

aljavi's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad fast-paced