Grimms Märchen by Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm

aarnold2's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

sjoukje's review against another edition

It's nice to read the unglamoured versions of the fairytales which we grew up with. Sometimes it can get a bit repetitive and stories have similar plots.

signealtersten's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing

lottyyy's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense

heyalexa's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

caffeineaddict980's review against another edition

This is a beautiful collection of the original fairytales,  the illustrations are amazing along with all of the tales.
In particular,  my favourites were:

Volume 1:

The Raven
The Frog Prince
The Three Journeymen
The White Bride and The Black Bride

megexpress's review against another edition

I am a big fan of fairy tales. I like how they set you into another world and make nonsense seem almost real for just a little while. I had never been exposed to the Grimm fairy tales previously, only to the Disney remakes. After reading this book, I have come to love both even more. The Grimm's embraced the darkness of fairy tales. It quite intrigued me. My favourite part of reading this book was the illustrations. They were unusual. It took me quite a long time to finally finish reading it, about seven months, which is quite out of the ordinary for me, but you can only read fairy tales for so long until you need a little break. I do recommend this book to any fan of fairy tales, or just need a little fantasy in a mundane world. I doubt you will be disappointed.

librarystax's review against another edition

Like am I just giving five stars to every book I read? Maybe. Maybe it’s just because I like reading so much and get to do it so little. But this one is super fun retellings of the groom fairy tales by Phillip Pullman who is one of the best authors for YA classics in my opinion. Fun stories and fun little thoughts about them by the author. I enjoyed reading them out loud as bedtime stories for the adults in my family. Ha!

cseibs's review against another edition

Such strange stories. I appreciated the little editorial notes at the end of each story.