How Moon Fuentez Fell in Love with the Universe, by Raquel Vasquez Gilliland

halfassedreader's review

This book is incredible, beautiful, and magical. Moon is hilarious, fat, and learning to love herself.

There are many TW so be aware.

I loved so much about this book and found myself falling in love with the way it was written. Moon’s character development is refreshing and inspiring, however I did find some of her creative expressions to be a little bit cringe at times.

I definitely think that sometimes the emphasis put onto Santiago’s love of Moon’s body felt a little bit fetishized which rubbed me the wrong way, and I think that Star’s arc was too quick and not explored enough to feel whole.

Deposited these little critiques, I LOVED this book and it made me smile so much. I love the imagery, the integration of divination, flowers, and food. The research that the author put into this is evident and is woven into the story incredibly well.

I am seriously looking forward to reading this authors previous works and displaying this beautiful book and cover on my shelves. I imagine I will revisit this story again and again.

chloehanstra's review

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

pagesofwyn's review

this book made my fall in love with the universe

kazingel's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

ashleyloohoo77's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

toloveisdestroy's review

The writing felt a bit odd at times. Like it was using YA language while trying to appeal to an older audience. Not my personal cup of tea tbh.

bluesclues1's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted sad fast-paced

tammytxt's review

Loved this book! If you like any of these topics: (Food, spirituality, magical realism, enemies to lovers romance, and self discovery) you’ll definitely love this book as much as I do. Raquel Gilliand played with my emotions. I cried with Moon, I got angry for Moon, I got angry with Moon and I cheered for Moon. I related so much to the main character being that I was the DUFF of many of my social groups and it caused me to do bad things and had me people pleasing like a mfer. I dimmed my own light so others could shine. I wish high school me could’ve read this book. It would’ve been inspiring to watch Moon shift and phase into her final form.

allysunsun's review against another edition

Moon Fuentez has convinced me to fall in love with the universe too! This book is absolutely stunning filled with gorgeous descriptors and well thought out characters. I loved how well Moon grew as a character throughout the book and she overcame all the obstacles that life had thrown at her. I also absolutely loved Santiago, big grumpy men who are softies and protective of who they like are my favourites. I can't wait to read more of Raquel Vasquez Gilliland's work.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc.

safiyareads_'s review

dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced