The Unbroken, by C.L. Clark

zoewright's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

daja's review against another edition

adventurous dark slow-paced

I didn’t love or hate this. I think the world building was incredible and the writing really put me in the atmosphere of the story. However, I wasn’t that invested with the characters or the plot. The character motivations kind of annoyed me and they kept changing their mind on things (Touraine). It wasn’t bad  enough that I couldn’t read the story but I think it impacted my enjoyment. I think the largest reason I didn’t like it was because I don’t really vibe with political fantasy. I just find it so boring and this story is heavy on politics. So if you like that, maybe you’ll enjoy it more?

saharahayes's review against another edition

150 pages in, and I didn't really care about either of the main characters. Oh well. Another DNF for the pile.

ehmannky's review

I don't know. It's well-written and I like the themes, I just wasn't feeling it at nearly 100 pages in and I'm getting better at just DNF-ing books I'm just not into at nearly 100 pages in. I might pick it up again later.

spookykingdomstarlight's review against another edition

hay_elfkin's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

dectren's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced

postpluvium's review against another edition

I'm not really sure if I enjoyed this book? It was good, but good does not equal enjoyable. 3.5/5? 4/5?

Set in a colonised-by-fantasy-Enlightenment-France fantasy-North-Africa, MCs are an indentured soldier (stolen as a child and raised in a residential school type situation) and the princess of fantasy-Enlightenment-France.

A hint of forbidden romance (kind of) against the backdrop of a city and colonised country fighting for freedom from its oppressors.

Edit: I think what made me enjoy it less (despite it being good) is that it's a very hopeless kind of fantasy? Everything is awful, and very few good things happen to give Touraine (or the reader) a break.

Switches POVs between two MCs.
Representation: Touraine is a lesbian of colour, Luca a white disabled bisexual.
Sapphic side characters, mlm side characters, hints at a polyamorous relationship in the past.
CWs: colonialist violence, mentions of sexual assault and rape, mention of residential school like situations

steviedailyn's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced

bizabeth's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced