Reviews tagging Violence

The Unbroken, by C.L. Clark

queerspoons's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

Easily 4.5 stars. This was one of the few books this year that held me by the throat — the world building was exquisite, and the diversity in the characters was beautifully done. My only complaint? The love interests did not have believable chemistry for me, but there’s always book two. 🤷🏻‍♀️

melaniereadsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous challenging tense medium-paced

This is such a great epic fantasy! I really loved the world building and the main characters! They are so enjoyable to read. There is a lot of intense stuff in this book but it was so good. I really think the world building is stellar in this one and can't wait to see what else comes of this world and series!

foreverinastory's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark tense slow-paced

This is a sprawling slow paced military fantasy. The Unbroken explores the facets of colonisation/imperialism and all of the consequences in gritty details. The story starts off slow and stays that way for a while, but if you can invest the time in it, it's well worth it.

Touraine was stolen as a child and raised in the Balladairan empire. The only loyalty she has is to her fellow Sands, the other stolen Qazali child soldiers. Now that Touraine has been sent back to her homeland she has reckon with the ties she thought were gone and what rebellion means. Princess Luca needs to get her uncle off the throne. If she can stop the rebellion in Qazal, it will prove she's ready to ascend the throne. But negotiating peace comes at a higher price than she expects.

I am really glad I took my time with this book. I loved getting to know Touraine, the Sands, the Qazali and the whole world. It was immersive and I constantly wanted to know more about this world and the magic. Touraine makes a lot of mistakes and difficult decisions throughout this book. It was quite messy, but seeing the way her loyalties kept her torn between the Balladairan Empire and the Qazali felt realistic and truly illustrates how insidious colonisation is.

I wouldn't really categorize this as a romance, though there are some romantic relationships in this. I don't really know how to feel about the possibility of Luca and Touraine, especially after the end. There is definitely a power imbalance here and while Luca is a nice person, there's lived experiences she'll never understand. Plus throughout this we see Touraine constantly have to sacrifice those close to her, but Luca is constantly insulated from this choice. I guess the jury is still out on this ship for me, but I'm very invested in these characters future journeys, especially Touraine.

Rep: Sapphic BIPOC female solider MC, sapphic disabled female MC who uses a cane periodically, BIPOC supporting cast, wlw side characters, nonbinary side character, queer normative world.

CWs: Animal death, blood, colonisation/imperialism, confinement to prison cell, cursing, death, genocide, grief, gun violence, injury/injury detail, murder, racial slurs, racism, torture, violence, war. Moderate: fire, kidnapping, medical content, attempted/threatened rape, sexual harassment, slavery (forced enlistment of conquered people). Past mentions of child abuse/death by the military.

madamepincers's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny reflective tense medium-paced

Incredible world building and magic system and I can't wait to read more. Only drawback for me was characters who consistently make Very Bad Choices and change their minds/seem to adhere to different moral codes at different times, but given the context, I think their confusion and issues with determining their own priorities was believable. But it happens to be a major pet peeve of mine so 👀

dariusmortee's review

challenging dark emotional inspiring medium-paced

I want to start by saying I really wanted to love this book.

I did, in some ways. The message Clarke is trying to bring across is loud and clear and this book will make you feel uncomfortable as it is very confronting. The characters are very interesting and I would like to get to know the world better.

However, even though the characters were very interesting I didn’t feel connected to them. Clarke didn’t go enough into depth with almost every aspect of this book for me. The important scenes for the character development were just not it. The build up was there, but then it was gone. This, and the both (strangely) slow and still fast pace of this book did knock down a few stars.

ktkeps's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark medium-paced

fireopal's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional reflective

firefly's review

adventurous dark tense slow-paced

paigemandia's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Idk this one just didn’t really do it for me. I loved most of the characters, except the protagonist touraine just annoyed the hell out of me. None of her decisions were thought out and she just made mistake after mistake. We love a flawed character but she was just not doing it for me. I did love how this novel approached colonialism and institutionalism—that was definitely the strong point of this novel. A lot of it just felt rushed and the characters weren’t built up enough for a lot of the deaths to effect me. It was entertaining enough and the magic system is interesting, so I am looking forward to seeing if the next books in the trilogy are better. But happy to have read 1/3 of the sapphic golden trio. gotta get the jasmine throne next 🙏🏻🙏🏻

izzybell's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced