Het parfum, by Patrick Süskind

eswee's review

dark informative lighthearted sad fast-paced

This is one of my favorite movies, and I really wanted the book to be better than the movie. For a while this was also the reason the book was very intimidating and I kept postponing to read it. But now I finally have.

For a short moment I felt scared that the book was NOT as good or better than the movie. But soon the poetic words about all the ugliness of medievel cities like Paris drew me in and held me hostage till the last page. Can a book about a murderer committing his crimes be beautiful and poetic? Yes it can, and this story totally proves it. I can't describe why though, you would have to read for yourself. The writing style is just magnificent. Have you ever tried describing all the scents of the world? Patrick Suskind manages to do just that, in a way that you can actually feel them.

berethnetqueen's review

It's a good book. Also really weird, though.

theunreasonablewoman's review

dark funny mysterious tense fast-paced

This may sound like I'm lying because the book has such a dark plot, but reading it feels lighthearted most of the time! The lack of fighting, challenging and questioning the main character's monstrousness, combined with the funny, dry writing was unexpected and refreshing.