A Tiny Upward Shove, by Melissa Chadburn

inlowing's review against another edition

challenging dark sad

egcoast2coast's review

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

ba1l3y's review

dark emotional sad medium-paced

jenabest's review

dark slow-paced

Damn. This is dark and heavy.
The first while, I was really wondering if I wanted to continue. Then the writing became very engaging.... Until the subject turned into everything dark and horrid about humans. Rape, murder, child abuse, addiction. All-in-all, very heavy.

verlo's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense slow-paced

hannahouston's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

rebeccaisacrab's review against another edition

challenging dark medium-paced

penny_dlc's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

difficult and heart wrenching. this book doesn’t hold back any punches. it’s brutal and it’s real and that’s what makes it all the more impactful.

but please be cautious. it’s rough.

portcitykt's review

A moving tragic story which combines Chadburn’s knowledge of the failed child welfare system in this country with the basic true account of a serial killer in Canada. Marina, of mixed Filipino and Black heritage wants a regular life, family and love. We sense the love from her Lola and Mutya ( grandmother and mother) and the sharing of folklore and spirits but no one can break through their own wants. Marina ends up in a group home (aka grope home) and from my work with group homes in my career the characters portrayed are so realistic. Marina tries to conform but tries to maintain her sanity and dreams of reunification. “Want is for the living “ and Marina isn’t getting any of her wants met so she turns to touch as a way to feel wanted.

The pain of seeing what all of these characters endure just pulled at my heartstrings. Chadburn kept her grip on me until the end even though I knew she was pulling me down a deep dark hole. So well done and a must read. This book is, in the words of Lola, “ a killa, thrilla and a chilla.”

Thank you to #NetGalley and @fsgbooks for the advanced copy of a #ATinyUpwardShove.

kim_lockhart's review against another edition

Extreme Content Warning: this was one of the hardest books I've ever read. It is the unsanitized truth of the fate of the missing and murdered, the forgotten, the unprotected. You might feel your soul float away from your body. It's an important story, well-told, but almost too brutal to bear.