The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Le Guin

madsadstork's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious reflective medium-paced

caddysnack's review against another edition

Riveting, thought provoking, and perfectly executed. Again, LeGuin's talent for description is amazing and perfect. I realized one of the things I like so much about her work as compared to (what I've read of) her contemporaries is a very even handed approach. LeGuin doesn't beat you over the head with themes, but instead writes them naturally into the story. She trusts the intelligence of her readers, and it pays off in spades. Love this author!!

lgaillardetz's review against another edition

mysterious tense fast-paced

travelgirlut's review against another edition

How is it that a book that feels futuristic can also feel dated at the same time? Is it the style of writing? The lack of techonology based on what we have today? I don't know, but this book felt that way. I liked the idea of the story, but I found the main character to be a bit of a wuss. He has the ability to change the world with his dreams, but he can't man up and tell the doctor to knock it off with the world betterment stuff? Though I do love that
Spoiler the aliens got to stick around at the end
. That made me happy.

amydavid's review

Didn't impact me like Left Hand of Darkness did, but explores some interesting themes of fate vs. free will and power structures, along with the ever-popular environmental collapse. I enjoyed it, but was ultimately glad it was a novella.

hannuuh's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

brussel777sprouts777's review against another edition

For SF fans, this 1971 seminal short novel (about 175 pages) by Ursula K. Le Guin is pretty close to required reading. It is about dreams coming true (not necessarily always in a positive way), and one can judge for him/herself its influences in other work such as William Gibson's "The Sprawl Trilogy", which consists of "Neuromancer", "Count Zero" and "Mona Lisa Overdrive", Michael Chrichton's "Sphere", as well as the movies "The Matrix" and "Inception". (I am disappointed to realize that "Sphere" was not really that original. Le Guin wrote virtually the same story 16 years earlier!)

teddyjimin's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

lawinbehold's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

spacestationtrustfund's review against another edition

love has to be remade like bread (sometimes with punching, and you will get very strong arms from this) + the ends justify the means, but there's no "end," all we have is the means + the JELLYFISH!!!