The Naturalist, by Andrew Mayne

jedbird's review against another edition

DNF @ 20%

This was just so, so dumb, and I read spoilers and discovered it becomes exponentially more dumb as it goes on, so I'm out. It's a cool idea to make a scientist the protagonist of a murder book, but frankly the character lost me and my sympathy when he stole the blood sample.

once_upon_a_tome's review against another edition

This is a bit of an unorthodox way of investigation and that's really all I can think to say. Better than I thought it was going to be.

beesandbooks's review against another edition

This book is fast paced, has an interesting hook, and is narrated by a reasonably interesting character. Though I was ultimately disappointed by the ending and its lack of extra layers, I was drawn in during the middle section once Theo begins his investigation in earnest. I enjoyed seeing the mounting tension with Theo’s abject fear, and the building evidence for his case. I think the premise was a little bit weak to begin with–I was never fully convinced by Theo’s desire to I guess avenge Juniper–but as the ball got moving I began to suspend my disbelief a little. Ultimately, this book wasn’t what I was expecting but if I’d gone into it with the right expectations I would’ve enjoyed it more than I did because it’s decently well written and well paced.

majdahrdinkova's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

valhecka's review against another edition

Space toaster narrator, flowing internal monologue, SUPER messed up plot, and an ending that's so ludicrous I burst out laughing multiple times. At, like, really high-tension points. Whoops.

I don't think I'll keep up with the series, but wow, what a ride.

arkansas_equestrian's review against another edition

Page turner

If you like science, medicine, detective stories, forensics, you’ll love this story!! I started the story as an audio book during a long trip during the holidays and finished it as kindle. This was my first amazon prime book I got for the 3 month .99 cent promotion.

anishta's review against another edition

Kromě toho, že mi chyběl epilog, tak to bylo velmi dobré. Mám ráda když hlavní hrdina je takový "divnočlověk", který uvažuje a funguje jinak než ostatní a většina lidí ho nechápe. Jen chudák Theo dostal tolik nakládaček, že si nejsem jistá, jestli by po té druhé ještě vstal z pelechu. Každopádně pokračuji dalším dílem.

hardscifi's review against another edition

Exceptional crime/thriller.

As a scientist myself, I understand Dr Theo Cray all too well. This is a superb realization of a character that could live as long as Lucas Davenport. Theo iss part scientist and part philosopher. Facts are his joy. Non-factual gobbledygook should step aside. Its refreshing and I wish more prevalent. Strongly advised.

immerjones's review