We Spread by Iain Reid

atnea's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

mike_nz's review against another edition

I have no idea how to rate this. 1 star? 5 star? I really do not know. But I finished it a few days ago and I'm still thinking about what it meant, what was going on, which is rare for me.

OK, I'm going with 4 stars. Or maybe 5? Aaaahhhh!

lit_laugh_luv's review against another edition

This has everything I typically enjoy - body horror, an unreliable narrator, ambiguity and grief as a key theme. Unfortunately in execution it felt underbaked for me despite being hard to put down.

Penny is a compelling narrator who reminded me a lot of Vesta from [b:Death in Her Hands|52878453|Death in Her Hands|Ottessa Moshfegh|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1567702645l/52878453._SX50_SY75_.jpg|71378368]; we see her try to navigate aging and loneliness as a widow. As the synopsis implies, oddities begin happening in her care facility and we see reality become increasingly hazy and surreal. With that said, I didn't really "get" this - there's a lot going on at once and there's so many unanswered questions with the abrupt ending. I've read a few theories about how to interpret the book but all of them feel so speculative - there's not enough information given to the readers to make any meaningful conclusions about what happened. It feels like it is leading up to some big reveal or climax that never actually comes to fruition.

Overall, I did feel like this does a good job conveying suspense and paranoia, but ultimately just fell pretty flat to me. I'd definitely give Reid's books another go, but the number of unanswered questions I have after finishing this one left me more frustrated than satisfied.

shellig93's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

paperscrawls's review

dark reflective sad medium-paced

mxthemme's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

scrunchieboi's review against another edition

I love this author. My recommendation is to go in as blind as possible and to read a little slower than usual. Also, read the acknowledgements when you're finished.

stephibabes's review against another edition

Iain Reid is so skilled at building a sense of dread. The creeping claustrophobia and confusion that Penny undergoes really made my stomach tense. I read this book so quickly as I just wanted a resolution.

And, what I think Reid also does very well is never quite giving a clear and definitely conclusion. I am left with questions and I know that my theories of what the fuck was actually going on will linger with me for some time.

I borrowed this book from my local library. Support your local library whenever you can!

graceweller's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

ktb97's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective fast-paced

A beautiful book about getting old and accepting death. A quick read with lovely characters and just enough mystery to keep you on the edge of your seat.