Children of Blood and Bone, by Tomi Adeyemi

lex_gutsche's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

nico1000's review against another edition

So it's this and [b:The Hate U Give|34530151|The Hate U Give|Angie Thomas|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1489227263s/34530151.jpg|49638190] bringing the tally to two books now with a Black Lives Matter theme... and I feel like the intent behind the creation is good but I can't help at squint at people who sit, watch the news, see a murder and think, I'mma write a novel. People write about issues and racism and slavery all the time but this just feels weird to me.

I mean, no one really needs educating as to why oppression, prejudice and oppression is wrong. This is 2018. There are no neo-nazis who are going to stumble across this in their local library, read it to completion and have a change of heart. And if you're on the other side of it, I feel like some magic story of gods and goddesses and magical things that must be found by the end of the book, just make you think, "Okay, I guess."

I don't know, this author and [a:Angie Thomas|15049422|Angie Thomas|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1471998209p2/15049422.jpg] could be donating all their profits to activist charities or black communities in need... IDK.

It's not massively good, but it's better than a lot of stuff out there. A little bit predictable, but I don't think originality was the focus here so I feel like it should get extra points for avoiding some of the more grievous clich├ęs of the genre. Either the lady has her storytelling down or she's simply not read a lot of epic fantasy or YA lit to get corrupted by the trendy pitfalls other authors dive right into.

I don't know.

I'm from Trinidad, the religion is big over here. Not big big, but big enough. I'm not part of it, but I've grown up with it and I can't really think of an actual practitioner who'd feel like this was respectful to their religion. If you've never seen or heard of Orisha, Shango, Spiritual Baptist, you might be able to immerse yourself in this, but otherwise, it's just disconcerting af to see a real religion reduced to a magic system in a YA fantasy novel.

It's like if JK Rowling wrote a book called Harry Potter and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

So that's my review: I am confused. Orisha people exist in real life. It's not some ancient, dead mythology that you can use all willy-nilly, imo.

taylorjayne's review

Such intense Avatar the last Airbender vibes.

kharpstead's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

beebottoms's review

Can someone talk to me about that ending??! I'm so confused!

Tomi Adeyemi really knows how to write action scenes! Everything is snappy and quick, suspenseful and vivid. I think there should be a trigger warning for the blood and violence, though - because the writing's so vivid and thrilling, there's a lot of sacrificial rituals and killings that shocked me.

So "Children of Blood and Bone" is quite an adventure, where Orisha (a fantastical reimagining of Nigeria, and inspired by actual Yoruba culture) becomes a land of war between those who have magic (called the maji) and those who don't, the latter being the ones who rule the kingdom. They fear magic and want to wipe it out completely. Our main character is Zelie, a maji - she and her brother Tzain, join the princess Amari (who's having a rude awakening) to bring magic back after they realise there's this ritual they can perform that will help do that. Along the way they have to fight the king's guards chasing after them, including the prince, Amari's brother Inan.

Weirdly, I enjoyed the beginning before they start their journey to the maji temple to perform the ritual. I think it's because things got a little predictable in a chosen-one-y kinda way. There's more than one romance going on, and - don't hate me, I love a cute romance anytime, but... I found both to be quite unnecessary....? Or maybe that shouldn't take over so much of the story. The main romance that involves Zelie (don't wanna spoil anything here) also creeped me out a little bit!!!
SpoilerOkay you chose to view spoilers, so: Zelie and Inan? It felt more forced than real, or just that it came a little bit too easily when there should have been more struggle especially on Zelie's part! It's like the author wanted a star-crossed-lovers-in-love-with-the-one-out-to-kill-you romance trope, and all the back and forth between whether they can trust each other or not, it got tiring, I'm sorry!

And like I said, I'm super confused by the ending. Literally like, I know it's a cliffhanger leading up to book two, but I don't understand what I'm supposed to feel suspenseful about, and I'm not sure if I should know? Maybe the author made it vague on purpose so the confusion's the cliffhanger! Anyway I think I'll still pick up the second book, but probably not right away when it comes out.

steinereffect's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

wyward's review

adventurous dark inspiring tense fast-paced

thirs's review

That ending... what happened.. please give me book 2 now

caitling's review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious reflective fast-paced

emhromp's review against another edition

Dit is een boek waar je voor in de stemming moet zijn. De eerste poging liep uit op een dnf, maar nadat ik de schrijfster op YalFest had horen spreken, zette ik dit boek toch weer op de tbr. Gelukkig maar, want nu heb ik er enorm van genoten!
Ik had wel last van het wisselende perspectief.