The Holiday Switch, by Tif Marcelo

hal2499's review

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

chevreads's review

I read The Holiday Switch today, on Christmas, and I have to say it is a swoon-worthy read! It is light-hearted and it explores the topic of forgiveness and friendship.

Lila is a hardworking and mature character, always thinking about her family before herself. I am glad she pursued her love for reading in the end! :)

Rating: 5 stars

find me @calliesyy on Instagram:)

calcifire's review

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

taurusreadss3's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

knconrad's review against another edition

❤️‍

jeeniusreads's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

maddy_elizabeth11919's review

I wanted to love this so much. I did like it but I just couldn’t get past some things in this book.

To start off, I loved the whole Tinsels and Tropes blog she has. I think it’s so cute and it just reminds me of my own love for book. I think her continuously reading throughout the book was great because I have read other book where the female lead is a reader but she only reads a very small amount in the book. I loved that she read throughout the whole book and that the blog continued through the whole book as well. I also loved the whole town revolves around the holiday movie as well. I think incorporating that just complimented the book so well. Overall I did like a lot about this book, but there were a couple things I just couldn’t get past.

What I couldn’t get pass in this book was the whole secrets thing. I completely understood her secret because it had depth and backstory. You cared about her secret and why she had it. Teddys secret just wasn’t it for me. I thought for the majority of the time that his secret was stupid if we’re being honest. I had no inclination as to why he kept it and even when I did, I still just couldn’t see it being that big of a deal. He was in middle school when his backstory happened, now he’s in college and is an adult who can make his own choices. And that leads me to my biggest issue with this book. I could not stand the fact that this book make it out to be that both main character were children in a sense. Both Lila and Teddy are grown adults. Yes, Lila might be in high school, but teddy is in college. He is an adult through and through and should be able to make his own choices. This book just seemed like it was trying to make Lila and Teddy seem like middleschoolers who had highschool and college elements thrown in. This was a bad book, but it wasn’t a great book either. Overall I did like it, but I don’t think I would read it again.

seneschals's review

slow-paced

With the title The Holiday Switch, one envisions Christmas decorations, holiday spirit, and enough plot to jump-start the show. However, what I got instead was boredom, bland characters, and the absence of plot related consequences.

Lila and Teddy dislike each other at first sight. We're told they're opposites in every category you can think of: she's uptight, he's cool, she's organized, he's messy. And this is where the switch comes in: they accidentally switch phones and realize hey, they aren't too bad. But when the switch lasts for one chapter and trivial issues take its place (Lila hides a secret book review vlog and Teddy climbs rocks for fun) this is where I tried not to bash my head into a coma.

She's a book reviewer. Who cares. He likes to climb rocks. Who cares. These are two of the most inconsequential plot instruments I have ever read and you expect me to care if the side characters find out about their stupid secrets?

And don't forget the main characters were bland. They were carbon copies of the usual Asian older sister who carries the world on her shoulders and the Asian older brother who was raised to let loose. The dialogue was painful. The side characters tuck to their predictable archetypes.

The only reason why this isn't a one star is because I didn't drop it. But I was this close to saying fuck it.

tiffanykarayareads's review

So cute!!!

thebookishlifeoflorna's review

2.5 rounded up!

I found this book okay? I read it in a couple of hours so was good enough that it kept my attention but it felt a little lacklustre in terms of content.

Unsure if it’s because it’s very seemingly YA and so there wasn’t quite the spark between characters that I’d have liked? Also, I think it was a little too short. I’d have liked more of the enemies part in an enemies to relationship and also more of an insight into the relationship maybe…