One-Punch Man, Vol. 1 by ONE

bethanory's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

shrutiqadir's review against another edition

I LOVE ONE PUNCH MAN SMMM

it123's review

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

naleagdeco's review against another edition

I am conflicted about both this book and this manga.

Narratively, I find it a mess. It's just an excuse to portray a particular sense of humour. Everything seems mashed together in a very brute-force way.

This being said, the sense of humour somehow hits me despite that. I'll go through pages going "why am I reading this" and then whatever beat gets dropped every so often makes me decide to continue on because it worked for reasons I do not understand. Perhaps, in a meta way, the writing style mirrors the theme, and that's what has made it so successful.

This being said, I cannot say I enjoy it, although I will say that I respect it. I will keep at it and keep my rating as a snapshot for now, and maybe my tune will change as I go on and see how this develops.

oboemeister's review

adventurous funny

pensham's review

dark funny reflective fast-paced

pezzo's review

adventurous funny relaxing medium-paced

mehsi's review

This will be a general review for the first 5 volumes.

Normally I am not one for shounen, the endless battles, the boring training, it is just not for me. Or at least, not any more. I know when I started reading manga/watching anime that I didn't mind some shounen. Still I wanted to try this manga as I heard a lot about it, and I saw an AMV at the AMV competition at Animecon.

And I am so glad I did try this one out, because while it is shounen, the battles are pretty short (because of our MC), there is almost no training, and it is just so random, and it has such dry humour that I can't help but fly through this series and love it to bits.

Saitama is just a delightful, silly, wth character who wants to be hero, but totally doesn't care if the crowd doesn't like him (though I strongly suspect he does want some love, after all he does save the world on a regular basis). He is at times a bit disappointed that he can fell a baddie with just one punch (which made me laugh).
His dry humour, and at times just silly expressions make me laugh so much. The way he is bluffing through quite a few things is just brilliant (especially when it concerns Genos).
I also love how, mid-battle, he suddenly remembers that he needed to go to the grocery store for special deals. There is a time and place for everything, this is not the time. :P

I just hope he will get some recognition soon, and not the continuous stuff about him being a fake, or that he is cheating. While it is magical that he can fell a high level monster/threat with one punch, I still would like him to get the recognition he deserves. He certainly doesn't deserve all the crap he gets. Come on, this guy just saved the world and you treat him like this?

The art is also just hilarious, Saitama often looks so out of place with his silly expressions. Everyone around him is in dead-serious-mode, and then there is Saitama. :D Of course even he can go to dead-serious-mode, but more often than not he is just standing there, looking silly/bored.
Even in battles, he just doesn't take it serious (or at least it seems like that, look at the training (yes, one time we had one) between Genos and Saitama. I just laughed my butt off at how serious Genos was, while Saitama was just frolicking around (and being super-strong)).

As the story continues we meet new villains, new monsters, but also new heroes. Some heroes just make one appearance, but others come back quite a few times.

I also like the idea of a ranking system in the Heroes department, and it is fun to see the stuff they have to do in each of the ranking. For instance C guys have to tackle a monster/baddie each week, otherwise they are kicked out. Which, for a guy like Saitama is quite a bit of stress, especially since his town is so quiet.

The art is terrific and I just love how it goes from serious, to not-serious in just mere seconds. I also really love how Saitama stands out from everything and everyone. You would have a simple drawn Saitama, and then details all around him.

I read these 5 volumes at the Mangakissa at Animecon, but when I got home I immediately ordered book 6 and pre-ordered 7, and I will be getting the other 5 volumes soon. Because I need to know how this one continues, and I will also be checking out the anime, hopefully it is just as good as the manga.

If you are looking for a fun, hilarious, WTH manga, then be sure to check this one out.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/

heyjudy's review

~3.5/5

Given the covers of this series—the very serious art and expressions—I was not expecting what is inside the book. I had been somewhat warned, but I didn’t expect more of a Dragon Ball parodical superhero comedy.

This series is about Saitama, a man who decides to become a superhero and save people instead of live his boring existence. Only he gets so good at it that he can defeat any enemy with one punch, and now he’s just as bored as he was before.

I did enjoy Saitama and his struggles. He just wants something to do with himself. His boring office job was just as boring as his current superhero gig. He’s even dreaming about monsters harder to fight than the ones he’s actually fighting, the poor guy. Finally he meets a robot, who attaches himself to Saitama because he’s looking for a master. At the end of the volume, it looks like Saitama has found an organization to entertain himself with.

I like the artwork; it’s simple and comedic for the right moments, joking with Saitama’s normal life and bored existence, and then more intense and serious for the fighting and his frustrations.

This was a fun volume, and I can see why so many people are excited for it.

A review copy was provided by the publisher, VIZ Media, and Erik Jansen from MediaLab PR. Thank you so, so much!

[Read more at my blog, Geeky Reading!]

kelleemoye's review

Read this on the recommendation of a student to see if it is one to get for my library, and I found the read to be really quite epic. One Punch Man is exactly as he sounds (can beat anyone with one punch), and it is fun to read about the villains who try to take him on. His sarcasm and deadpan expressions are my favorite part.