Unnatural Causes by Richard Shepherd

simplicitea_'s review

Interesting topic and I enjoyed the subject matter, but I did not enjoy the writing all that much. Wasn’t a big fan of how he described his marriage with his first wife most especially. Also the euphemism of “sickle cell trait” to mainly describe Black individuals who died in police custody after being dangerously restrained? Ok then…

varyas's review against another edition

Could not put this down! So interesting and well-written. I was expecting it to be more episodic, or each chapter dedicated to a different case, however it's a lot more fleshed out than than (no pun intended......) I like that Dr Shepherd discusses how his career has influenced his life. Super fascinating - would totally recommend.

silverselkie's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful informative reflective sad medium-paced

A well written memoir of Dr Shepherds' career.
It is nicely paced, and quite informative.  It is interesting to get a glimpse of a world I could never be part of.

tobynicks's review

Very good book, not for the faint-hearted but not as graphic as it could be. It's more upsetting both in the strains on his mental health and the true stories of what people can do to each other. The fact it's not fiction makes it all the more poignant, and it is a very educational read.

notrachelx's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

A fascinating insight into the life and mind of a forensic pathologist, and how the bodies he’s examined have fitted into and affected both.

Fans of true crime would likely be interested in this side of the investigative process; I enjoyed hearing the details of an autopsy procedure and how the pathologist contributes to the justice system. The details of the author’s life and observations were just as compelling.

I’d recommend the audiobook, as the author’s narration is as engaging as the content. A great read/listen!

calliope722's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring medium-paced

Very interesting book.
Very cool and interesting cases.
The author was on the forefront of the most well-known cases in the UK and it is inspiring.

The writer's love of forensic pathology is clear and I appreciate the candid way in which he talks about his mental health

charlottefaye's review against another edition

dark emotional informative medium-paced

anna21's review against another edition

dark informative inspiring medium-paced

sinitron420's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional informative inspiring mysterious sad fast-paced

zeroone's review against another edition

Kiehtova katsaus oikeuspatologin työhön ja elämään. Richard Shepherd on suorittanut yli 20000 ruumiinavausta ja ollut mukana kaikenlaisissa tapauksissa juoppotappeluista prinsessa Dianaan ja itsemurhista suuronnettomuuksien kautta joukkomurhiin.

Kirjasta selviää monenlaisia mielenkiintoisia asioita, kuten että kuolema on (pommiräjähdyksen uhriksi joutumista lukuunottamatta) monivaiheinen prosessi, tai että totuus ei ole niin yksiselitteinen asia kuin mitä kirkasotsainen harjoittelija aikoinaan luuli, vaan samoista faktoista voidaan päätyä erilaisiin johtopäätöksiin. Shepherd kirjoittaa rohkeasti myös siitä, kuinka hänen oma psyykensä alkoi lopulta hajoilla vuosikausia kestäneen uran jälkeen.