How to Be an Antiracist, by Ibram X. Kendi

anitra2319's review

informative medium-paced

ni_kola's review

challenging informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

heatskitchen's review against another edition

This was a good important read. The author is a Black man, and comes to terms with his own battles of not being antiracist (being not racist isn't enough). An eye-opening, important read.

bwp1984's review

challenging hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

mccormick23's review

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

adyp12's review

This was my first proper introduction into anti-racism rather that just non racism. It forces you to view race at every intersection and analyse how they effect everyday life and politics. A must read

allie416's review

How to be Antiracist is harsh and unyielding look at the racism built into all of us and self reflection and societal changes that need to be instituted to help us as individuals and as a culture be antiracist.

The idea that claiming to be “not racist” is the same as turning a blind eye to the inequality is allowing it to persist and endure is something I have yet to read and really resonated with me and caused me to look inward at my own thoughts and actions. We cannot be antiracist without making the conscious choice to really examine the inequality, in opportunity and a societal fear of people of color and how those failings are in and of themselves racist.

This book was uncomfortable to read, but it forced me to look inwards and examine how I see the world around me and how my own perceptions have been shaped and how people of color are shaped by their own experiences but that neither has more value than the other. I found this book to be gripping and the writings of and points made my Ibram Kendi nothing short of fantastic

andrea_larson's review

challenging reflective medium-paced

Very disappointed in this book. Data from research studies was presented to further his narrative; however, the actual statistics of those studies disprove his narrative. Also, all disparities are blamed on racism in this book without facts to support this notion.

dannymac238's review

I can’t do justice to this work of careful academic thought and concise execution in a review. I can’t. Just read it.

mollydettmann's review

After reading Stamped From the Beginning and hearing Dr. Kendi speak several times now in various interviews, I figured this book might just be a rehash of things I already knew, but definitely learned more to reflect on with this one just as much, if not more than, Stamped. I also loved how this one was also tinged with Kendi’s life story and how it shaped his own racist views growing up and throughout his education. It takes intentional effort, knowledge, and acceptance to be Antiracist. I appreciate the intersectionality of this very thorough work as well.