What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 1 by Fumi Yoshinaga

cachou's review against another edition

lighthearted medium-paced

mehsi's review against another edition

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I really loved Antique Bakery and I may have read some other works by Fumi Yoshinaga, so when I spotted this one on Netgalley I knew I had to request it! Food x LGBT x Fumi Yoshinaga’s wonderful art, YAS please!

It is a question asked at times, a question that makes you think, because What did you eat yesterday? I can honestly say that I sometimes know the answer immediately, and sometimes I have to think about it for a bit. It is easier now that I make weekly menus, I can just check back. XD Yes, cheating, but hey.

elnaann1313's review against another edition

Love this series!

khakipantsofsex's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

skelkelbel's review against another edition

informative lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

lsparrow's review against another edition

part graphic novel part cook book - I was so hungry after reading this!

gkazumi's review against another edition

funny lighthearted slow-paced

lil_bit's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

wrentheblurry's review against another edition

Closer to 4.5 stars.

What a delight this manga title is! Two handsome middle-aged men in a relationship, one a lawyer, one a hairstylist, live together and enjoy some truly scrumptious sounding meals together. I love the explanations of food--each chapter features Shiro cooking something. The drawings depict the entire process, and the text gives enough details to enable the reader to recreate the food, while continuing the flow of the story. Sometimes an actual recipe is given at the chapter's end, though admittedly I am not familiar with many of the ingredients.

Shiro is still mostly in-the-closet, while his partner is not. That didn't bring up too many difficulties In this first book, but I can envision that being a source of conflict in later volumes. I liked their relationship, I liked the minor characters, and I loved the food aspect. The only thing that bugged me is some of the characters exhibit a bit of homophobia, but no one seems to *hate* Shiro or Kenji for their choices, so maybe they are just undergoing a learning process. Plus there is Shiro's excessive worrying over how his actions will be perceived.

My favorite part is the many side-quips and notes that are written in a lighter font, outside of chat bubbles, often with an arrow. They might be the character's thoughts, a further explanation on something, or just a funny aside. I do hope these continue. Oh, oh, and sometimes the characters are drawn in a more anime-style instead of their usual refined and slick style. This surprised me, and made me smile.

bquinox's review against another edition

informative lighthearted relaxing slow-paced