Cold Storage, by David Koepp

mattpatt's review against another edition

2.5 stars. This was a forgetable thriller that failed to make me believe its premises. In particular the main threat was outrageous and didn't seem to be totally satisfactorily dealt with -
Spoiler the cat exploding from the top of a tree on a hill must have released spores that could avoid an underground nuclear explosion, right? After all the other passages describing its hardiness
. The characters were pretty good, though we maybe could have spent more time with them. I would anticipate this author improving given this practice run and his impressive film pedigree. I thought [b:Spiral|9472760|Spiral|Paul McEuen|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1320484486l/9472760._SY75_.jpg|14357890] was maybe a better example of a fungus-based thriller. This was the definition of a 2.5 star book and really makes me wish goodreads let me rate out of 10.

bibliotess's review against another edition

the_great_gabsby's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

An amazing, page-turning thriller. Koepp uses cinematic story telling to keep you on the edge of your seat - reading the book feels like watching a block buster movie.

chris_meier's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

maxwellthomas's review against another edition

Koepp has blended science fiction, horror, and humor into Cold Storage in the best way possible. If you're willing to suspend your disbelief, you can get a kick out of this story. I was hooked from Chapter 1 with numerous, authentic laugh-out-loud moments and skin crawling terror. I was sorry to see the end of this book.

pheonixangel84's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

wh1ter0se's review against another edition

The book was so much fun. Its typical in ending but nice drive towards the end of the book.

cleverfoxwithcoffee's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

sarahlouisereads's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

jimbowen0306's review against another edition

If asked for a one sentence summary of this book, I'd say it was a daft mixture of The Stand (by Stephen King) and Resident Evil (you know the Milla Jovovich zombie apocalypse series).

In this book, there are a couple of fixers headed by Roberto Diaz, who do CIA/Department of Defence "wet work", dealing with biohazard and nuclear terrorists. On a mission in the 1990s, they pick up a spore that is growing like billy-o on Australian tribal lands. They save the day, only to have to save the day in present times, the spore has escaped, and Diaz has to step in to save the day again, along with 2 minimum wage storage facility employees (because that happens).

It's a daft read, but good fun if you switch your brain off for a while.