Reviews tagging Homophobia

I'm Afraid of Men, by Vivek Shraya

cianarae's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

Such a digestible, relatable, and analytical book. I learned a lot and also felt very validated.

sofiarmz13's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

tahsintries's review against another edition

exra's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective tense fast-paced

lauraanne's review against another edition

emotional

wenwanzhao's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

A very insightful and reflective piece of writing. It speaks of the patriarchal, cisnormative, and heteronormative structures that exist in our society, how they affected the author's life, and how we can dismantle them.

words_and_coffee's review

challenging emotional informative reflective sad slow-paced

ac7077's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny informative sad

ab_reads's review

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced
This is a super short but powerful read, and I’d urge you to read it if you have an hour to spare!

In it, Shraya exposes just how much of her time and energy is spent each day ensuring she won’t attract unwanted attention from men. Things men take for granted are a minefield for women, and as a trans woman of colour, Vivek feels this pressure even more keenly than many.

I loved the discussion around boundaries in queer spaces, drawn for Vivek’s comfort and safety yet looked down upon for being ‘unqueer’ since queerness is generally associated with being liberated from any and all boundaries.

Shraya also comments on how sensationalism is too often the gateway to changing opinions and increased willingness to listen and learn. Folk attending her workshops on anti-transphobia and anti-homophobia were only really willing to confront their biases after hearing the most shocking stories and most horrific ways trans and queer folk had been victimised. This shouldn’t be necessary and is extremely harmful.

leahjanespeare's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

Wow, this 85 page book packs quite a punch. Every line is a mic drop and forces the reader, no matter their gender or sexuality, to seriously re-examine all notions of gender norms and associated behavior, our own, as well as others.

This is an essential point of view to hear from: an intersectional voice of a brown-skinned, queer, trans woman. If the thought of this book existing makes you uncomfortable then you’re the prime audience. But if you think this book is going to be a “fuck you!” to all the cisgender straight white men and empower you as someone who doesn’t fit into any of those slots, you're also the audience. This is because much like racism, you’ll realize the extent of misogyny and gender norms are embedded in all of us. This book made me more uncomfortable than empowered and I am glad it did.