Reviews tagging Misogyny

I'm Afraid of Men, by Vivek Shraya

cianarae's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

Such a digestible, relatable, and analytical book. I learned a lot and also felt very validated.

tahsintries's review against another edition

exra's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective tense fast-paced

whentheresteeth's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

skudiklier's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective fast-paced

This book was really interesting! It was kind of all over the place, and pretty short, but I'm glad I read it. It definitely highlights a lot of important things and it made me think.

words_and_coffee's review

challenging emotional informative reflective sad slow-paced

ab_reads's review

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced
This is a super short but powerful read, and I’d urge you to read it if you have an hour to spare!

In it, Shraya exposes just how much of her time and energy is spent each day ensuring she won’t attract unwanted attention from men. Things men take for granted are a minefield for women, and as a trans woman of colour, Vivek feels this pressure even more keenly than many.

I loved the discussion around boundaries in queer spaces, drawn for Vivek’s comfort and safety yet looked down upon for being ‘unqueer’ since queerness is generally associated with being liberated from any and all boundaries.

Shraya also comments on how sensationalism is too often the gateway to changing opinions and increased willingness to listen and learn. Folk attending her workshops on anti-transphobia and anti-homophobia were only really willing to confront their biases after hearing the most shocking stories and most horrific ways trans and queer folk had been victimised. This shouldn’t be necessary and is extremely harmful.

sidbookreviews's review against another edition

challenging reflective fast-paced

I'm Afraid of Men is an incredibly personal, raw and vulnerable examination of gender that challenges traditional notions of masculinity and feminity. Shraya's profound autobiographical essay style is particularly impactful as she shares her experiences with men, masculinity and feminity as a trans woman of colour. This book is extremely powerful and I absolutely recommend it for everyone, and I think it provokes some very crucial questions about how we, as a society, can and should reimagine masculinity.

kelseynicole24601's review against another edition

challenging reflective fast-paced

violet_pages's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced