Reviews tagging Sexism

I'm Afraid of Men, by Vivek Shraya

maudsmeets's review against another edition

challenging dark informative reflective medium-paced

Any ambiguity or nonconformity, especially in relation to gender, conjurers terror. This is precisely why men are afraid of me. Why women are afraid of me, too.
But your fear is not only hurting me, it's hurting you, limiting you from being everything you could be.

An informative, reflective and challenging read that combines autobiographical stories with gender theory seamlessly.

I would recommend this text to anyone. We can all learn from this and we should all learn from this, to be frank.

skudiklier's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective fast-paced

This book was really interesting! It was kind of all over the place, and pretty short, but I'm glad I read it. It definitely highlights a lot of important things and it made me think.

wenwanzhao's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

A very insightful and reflective piece of writing. It speaks of the patriarchal, cisnormative, and heteronormative structures that exist in our society, how they affected the author's life, and how we can dismantle them.

words_and_coffee's review

challenging emotional informative reflective sad slow-paced

kelseynicole24601's review against another edition

challenging reflective fast-paced

violet_pages's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

questingnotcoasting's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad fast-paced

This was a short but powerful book. It falls somewhere between memoir and essay as Shraya uses her own experiences of misogyny and transphobia to make broader points about feminism. I listened to the audiobook which Shraya narrates herself and I really enjoyed her calm, measured style of speaking. I wish it had been longer as it sometimes didn't feel very cohesive but it was definitely worth the read.