Siege and Storm, by Leigh Bardugo

buriedinbooks's review

5/5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Controversial opinion: I loved this book! I have a lot of thoughts about it, but I won't touch on them too much because I try to stay away from spoilers in my reviews. I was kind of surprised that the beginning was over so quickly, and I was so confused that no one was talking about Sturmhond when I adored him? And then I met Nikolai and fell so, so, SO hard. I thought the book was paced nicely, but I love court politics and strategy, and I like Malina (so seeing Mal get upset at the love of his life being consumed by this newfound power and amplifier was understandable). To not have an action-packed story subverted my expectations and allowed for adequate buildup between the beginning Darkling encounter and the ending. And that ending!! It was so chaotic and heart-wrenching, and I'm so curious to see how Ruin and Rising goes. I debated rating this book lower than 5 stars because so many people didn't like it, but I genuinely don't agree with the reasons why people knocked this down so many stars (which were mainly Mal, the pacing, and the lack of action). It's a very enjoyable read for me and it's definitely better than Shadow and Bone in my opinion (I rated Shadow and Bone 4 stars, for reference) so 5 stars it is!

shey22's review

Me ha gustado mucho más que el primero aunque le ponga la misma nota porque no me parece que se merezca un cuatro.
Muy bien que se explore más el mundo, eso me ha parecido genial, también Nikolai que mola más que el resto de personajes juntos y todo lo relacionado con el palacio. El final ha sido visualmente espectacular y hasta me he emocionado en algún momento.
También me ha gustado la evolución de Alina.
Contras: La relación de Mal y Alina y los celos everywhere. A veces muy repetitivo. A Mal le daba un buen sillazo en la cara, la verdad.

harriet1lily's review against another edition

It was okay, wasn’t as good as the first, took me ages to read as couldn’t get into it, little character development.

ajlawford's review

Four years on from my first time reading this and I’ve actually dropped my rating from 5 to 4 stars. I can now recognise that this book suffers from middle book syndrome. I’m rereading so I can get the most out of the other books in the Grishaverse, and I couldn’t really remember what happens and I must of marathon read the second and third together and perhaps that’s why I gave it a higher rating. Still really enjoyed rediscovering a Nicholai and interested to see how the trilogy wraps up in the final book.

temporaryhouseplant's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

annie_lynn's review against another edition

adventurous inspiring fast-paced

snowbenton's review

Okay, you win, Bardugo.

I'm in love with the tracker, the pirate, and the villain.

bookandosti's review

OMG Nikolai is a god!! Mal is the best tracker in the world!

desethers's review

Didn't like this one as much as the first and it was hard for me to get through. I'm not sure if I'll be reading the next one. It wasen't badly written or anything, just didn't hit the mark for me as well as the first.

vivhenn's review

fino agli ultimi due(?) capitoli l’ho trovato uguale al primo libro e cioè molto piatto.. poi arrivano gli ultimi due capitoli e succede il finimondo

nikolai penso sia il personaggio migliore di tutta la trilogia. + a differenza della maggior parte della gente adoro Mal e invece Alina mi è caduta un po’ durante questo libro :( la capisco ma in certe situazioni l’ho trovata troppo egocentrica

sono molto curiosa di leggere l’ultimo libro e vedere come si conclude la storia