Reviews for The Psychopath Test, by Jon Ronson

kelleerich's review

dark funny informative medium-paced

liriel27's review against another edition

This book does not contain a "Fill out this test to determine if you are a psychopath," so if that's what you're looking for, you will be disappointed. Rather, it is a narrative of one man's explorations of the origins of psychopathy as a diagnosis, the various modern treatments of the same, and the ethical implications of the diagnosis (and, briefly, psychiatry in general). Those looking for objective, hard-science, lots-of-footnotes material will not find it here, but it is a very absorbing read for laypeople.

thorn_shrike's review against another edition

Very entertaining, but don't expect quality science here. A great summer read.

megan_deathe's review against another edition

dark informative reflective fast-paced

Super interesting read, Jon Ronsons writing style is always excellent

alibader's review against another edition

funny informative lighthearted reflective fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

jjjreads's review against another edition

tense fast-paced

Does contain some interesting information, but the whole book is so alarmist it frequently borders on hysterical. Even if some of the information is technically correct, I think the way it's presented makes it impossible to learn any truth from it. Further, there is no question that this book harms people with mental health issues or disorders.

ercassiel's review against another edition

informative reflective sad medium-paced

catbus217's review

dark informative mysterious fast-paced

natmar's review against another edition

Absolutely fascinating. I love how Ronson took a narrative-esque approach in writing this book -- I expected the subject matter to be interesting but not necessarily the prose. I'm so glad to have been proven wrong. And to see so many different narrative threads woven together over the course of the book! Phenomenal.

I was reading this book while also reading A Clockwork Orange/watching Hannibal. I couldn't have picked better timing, folks. I empathized with Ronson: I was learning about psychopaths (the very very very diet version psychopathic knowledge) and found myself looking for and analyzing psychopathic behaviors in others (albeit it fiction, but the point still stands).

Semi spoilers (can you really spoil a nonfiction book?) but I thought the ending message was deliciously profound: it's unfair to categorize people in absolutes, just as much as it's unfair to wholly define them by their worst or "maddest edges."

ameliaxhowells's review against another edition

dark informative reflective medium-paced