Quincredible Vol. 2: The Hero Within, by Rodney Barnes

giovanna20's review

Compared to the first volume, I enjoyed this second installment of Quincredible much more.
I appreciated the story, but even more the friendship, but especially the relationship between the father and son. In the first one had been highlighted little, here instead it was developed better.
The color plates are beautiful, as well as in the first volume.

Arc provided by Netgalley in exchange of an honest review

robinks's review

inspiring mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

A nice follow-up in the series, diving into New Orleans’ voodou and parenting.

qace90's review

emotional reflective fast-paced

rachelsreads_'s review

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

I felt like there was something missing from the story. I know it’s a series and has multiple volumes but it didn’t feel like anything got resolved. Regardless, I still enjoyed the artwork and exploration of voodou. I also appreciated the discussions on slavery and ruining the environment via capitalism. They could have been a bit more in depth. I look forward to the next volume.

jennybeastie's review

Solid comic-book-hero book, set in New Orleans with Black hero. Loved the ties to history and sacred land, and the nod to voodoo. Quin is a believeable teen hero, with both teen issues and superhero issues. Good stuff.

Advanced Reader's Copy provided by Oni Press.

eliebooks's review

Thanks to Netgalley for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review :)

This is a nice, fast-paced comic that follows Quin after he found out that he has a special power: Invulnerability. This time we are diving into the world of Voodoo. Quinton West is back as the would-be hero of his city New Orleans, battling against a new enemy who wishes to claim the historical land for himself.

I wouldn't say there is anything especially new in the superhero type story, but it is a really good read. I enjoyed this volume way more than the first one, even though it followed the same kind of formula: you have Quin struggling to understand what type of hero he could be, the bad guy (way more character development this time around), other cool superheroes with interesting powers, a mentor for Quin, a romantic interest and some interesting historical facts. The historical aspects really fascinated me, Quin is learning the history of New Orleans and Voodoo. An assignment that leads him to the mysterious Madame Adelaide who gives him a new task to fulfill for the good of New Orleans.

As in the previous volume, my favourite part of this comic was the relationship Quin has with his parents and their implication and understanding. I just love his mother and father so much. They are an important part of the story and they try so hard to help and understand him. There are some great scenes with the whole family and I just appreciate them so much.

I totally recommend this to anyone that is a fan of any type of superheroes. Also, if you want to read about a great family, this is the comic to try :) Enjoy!

marreadsbooks22's review

3.75 stars

This was amazing! I loved the art style and the layout of the story.
It kept me engaged and I couldn't put it down till I finished it.
Just like the first graphic novel this left me wanting more. Now I can't wait for the next one!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for the chance to read this graphic novel/book in exchange for an honest review.

alexys_tenshi's review

*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review.*

Quincredible is back!
I'm so happy to see again our beloved boy trying to make the city a safe place... but, I don't think this volume is better than the first one.
There is like a time skip, the plot is intriguing but it seems to lack of continuity.

In New Orleans there is an evil man that want to build a casino on lands sacred to African Americans. Quin has to stop it and bring stability and peace.
A powerful character is Brittany's aunt Adelaide. She uses her powers to show Quin the past and what they must do to preserve the lands. Thanks to Adelaide we can discover something about Voodoo (and I like it).

Art style and colors are great!

laylamasquerade's review

I received an eARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I adore this series so much, I thought the first volume was so good, but the second tops that. It tackles so many difficult topics, gives important history lessons and wraps it all up in fast paced superhero action. If you haven't got into this series yet - you're missing out!

destdest's review

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious reflective medium-paced

I think the writing is sharp, and this volume really delves into New Orleans history (from Transatlantic enslavement to voodoo origins to Hurricane Katrina, etc). I think there’s a way to include African-American/Black American history or themes without it reveling in trauma, and I think Quincredible gets it. The only nitpick is villain introductions are often rushed in this series. But I like dependable, bright-eyed Quinton, and I’m ready for another volume.

And Ms Adeliade and that white wolf were stylin’!

Spoiler while it's unbelievably dumb that Brittany is going out with a dude named Big Baby (hope that's a nickname), love that Quinton's mama lets him know she doesn't owe him anything or automatically her affections for being a "nice guy."