Midnight Robber, by Nalo Hopkinson

thesmashbotdiaries's review against another edition

It was a bit hard for me to get into the rhythm of the writing in this book as it was something I was not used to, but after I got over that, I really enjoyed this book. It discusses some pretty intense subjects overtly while subtly conjuring others while also being incredibly fantastical.

caitlin_waddick's review against another edition

Is your whole body one living connection with the Grande Anansi Nanotech Interface?
Do earbugs give you a sixth sense?
Do the nanomites in your blood help you feel the calibration of the nannysong?
Are you a weave in she web?

CryptoZoology much? Go beyond vampires and werewolves to meet douens, rolling calves, and other duppy (Caribbean ghost spirits).

Finally, a fully formed heroine who embodies Caribbean mythology on a another planet! Also, she is a survivor of sexual abuse!

Have the Nation Worlds exiled you to New Half-Way Tree?
Go!

****
See full book review by _Everfair author Nisi Shawl: Mightier than the Gun: Nalo Hopkinson’s Midnight Robber. Mon May 7, 2018 on Tor.com.

planetwhileaway's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

Beautiful world building, lovable main character.

emilyjleland's review

adventurous challenging hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

This book was great! It took a couple of minutes to get used to the grammar of the style, but I loved it. There are such rich worlds in this book, and so much heart in the protagonist

iuanto's review

adventurous challenging slow-paced

monnimag's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

locpressedbooks_'s review against another edition

Love it!

I love this book, Tan Tan is such a strong characters and the worlds that Hopkinson creates for Tan Tan to grow in are just so beautiful and mysterious and dangerous. I’m a sucker for this book, and the audio and fantastic! I can’t wait to read this again!

catsandb00ks's review against another edition

I bought this purely because of the cover and the fact that it's set in a Caribbean setting but the writing was SOOOOOOOOOO not my style.

prested's review against another edition

As a child Tan-Tan lived on Toussaint, a wealthy planet colonized by people from the Caribbean.

She grew up wealthy as the daughter of the governor of the colony, never having to want for anything.

That is until her father commits a crime and flees to New Half-Way Tree, a planet where criminals are exiled to, bringing his daughter with him.

There Tan-Tan is forced to experience a completely different life than she had previously.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trigger Warnings // Pedophilia, Sexual Violence, Rape, Incest, Abuse //

Firstly, I liked this book. The world building is fascinating and the characterization of Tan-Tan was so well done.
It's also written in Patois which was unexpected but I enjoyed the style of this book.
However, the story I read wasn't the one I was expecting.
I thought it was going to be more adventurey and it ended up being a book about processing trauma.

Don't get me wrong, the message this book presented was done amazingly, just unexpected.

SpoilerThe way, throughout the book you could just feel Tan-Tan flipping emotions about the rapes she had to endured since she was eight and the abuse she received from her parents and her stepmother.
How she desperately protected her abusers and how the adults, who supposedly cared for her, did nothing even though they suspected she was being abused.
She ultimately starting disassociating herself into 3 people, Tan-Tan, bad Tan-Tan and the Robber Queen, in an attempt to address the abuse she deals with.
She also tried to divide up her father into two people to disassociated the father she loved with the man that rapes her. But with her father the guilt of her killing him weighed her down a lot.
It was just so tragic that circumstances Tan-Tan was in.
Though, it was nice to see how she ultimately processes her trauma and tell people the truth.

Over all, all the characters were mostly well rounded.
I felt that the stepmother was a little one dimensional but she wasn't the main antagonist so I guess that's alright.

I personally was a little more interested in some of the throwaway worldbuilding in this book.
Such as the politics of Toussaint,
Spoiler how those without impacts are discriminated against
Spoilerthe lack of privacy due to the Granny Nanny AI, whether or not people's personal freedoms are infringed upon.
and
Spoilerthe rising tensions between the colonists and the natives.

But that wasn't the story of this novel so I understand why the book didn't go into them.
The only weird thing about this book was the pacing, the end felt a little rushed.

bookcaptivated's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced