Paladin's Grace, by T. Kingfisher

can_has_sock's review against another edition

Official review:

ElmoOnFire.gif

Look, it's got:
an angsty paladin who smells like gingerbread (for plausible reasons) and knits socks
a sensible thirtysomething perfumer with anxiety and a small animal filling the role of a cat
pining
political intrigue
banter
and yes, the occasional severed head

and it's FLUFFY, dammit

(there is a small percentage of author-typical horror, ask me if you need details; I'm pretty sure it's skippable if you really need to)

lizthelizard's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

madbookworm15's review

challenging dark funny hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

gabberjaws's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful

Having only read Kingfisher's horror novels before, I was wary about picking this up because I thought it wouldn't work for me. Boy, was I wrong.

Kingfisher's fantasy writing has all the charm and heart of her horror novels, and was such a treat to read. This is the kind of book you pick up when you still want to read fantasy, but are tired of the dark, bleak, gruesome worlds. This isn't to say that Paladin's Grace is without its fair share of bloodshed, murder, and general Bad Stuff - but Kingfisher's writing gives you the sense that there's always hope.

Fantasy, but chill.

kobfroggie's review against another edition

Okay, this is definitely a fluff Romance disguised as a fantasy fiction.

It's much heavier on romance than any of her works which should have delighted me. Alas, I must say that it kinda drag a bit in places. What more than makes up for it is everything you would want in a nice cozy fantasy; a great cast of characters, fun dialogues, delightful world-building, a fun plot with a pinch of horrors and heaps of humors a la T.Kingfisher. Her books always put smiles on my face and that's what I keep coming back for.

3.5 stars rounded up

sophie_r's review against another edition

*3.5. I haven't come across a fluffy, adult fantasy before, so I was curious to see how I'd like this one. And all in all, it was really fun. What Kingfisher does especially well is craft a bunch of lovable characters that you just want to read more about. Honestly, I didn't even care that the plot was a background device, I just wanted more pining and hilarious banter.

It was also refreshing to read about characters that were more middle-aged (both MC's are in their thirties, but trust me the angst is still A+). I will say that is is an adult fantasy, so there are a few steamy scenes in there.

Overall, if you want some fun and comforting romance fantasy, definitely worth checking out.

dcg's review

adventurous lighthearted slow-paced

annettem's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

generallycobalt's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring tense fast-paced

nithuir's review against another edition

The trial was just way too long and infuriating. I almost quit but then pushed through. Wish I'd never bothered picking it up at all, honestly.