birdmanseven's review against another edition

I've been complaining about how Aquaman has been in a battle for the throne of Atlantis for a decade now.

I wanted different, and I got it. I'm not quite sure where we are going here, but all aboard!

We discussed this fresh start over on Comic Book Coffee Break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyYpV743nhQ&t=238s

abbiesb_read's review against another edition

Not as good as Dan's run but still a fun read.

julia5500's review against another edition

Thank you to NetGalley and DC for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. I am beyond grateful.

Kelly Sue DeConnick and Robson Rocha are an unstoppable duo. The story and art of this trade paperback are both amazing, and as high as my expectations already were, they were exceeded. I have never been an avid Aquaman fan, but I did go to see the Aquaman movie last winter and enjoyed it. Since then I have begun to dip my toes into his story. When I saw that DeConnick (author of my personal favorite run of Captain Marvel comics) was working on the new Aquaman comics, I knew I needed to read them as soon as possible.

Even if you know very little about Aquaman and his story, this collection of comics is still extremely followable and enjoyable. It starts off a little slow, for about the first 10 pages, but once it picks up, you will be fully hooked. If you have any interest in Aquaman, or even getting started reading some DC, this would be a great place to start, because you don't have to worry about crossovers with other comics. Any reader is bound to be captivated by the story and characters, especially since it is paired with such well-done art. An easy five stars.

This collected edition of comics will be published on August 13th, and it is not one you are going to want to miss!

captwinghead's review against another edition

This was beautifully drawn, but not quite my cup of tea.

The writing was great! I liked the emphasis on legend and the spirit of the oceans. This story featured an Arthur Curry who'd lost his memory and wasn't aware of his own abilities and connection to the water. I enjoyed Caillie as a character and Arthur's interactions with the people of the island.

I think it would definitely be enjoyable if you're a big fan of Aquaman.

renatasnacks's review against another edition

I don't know a lot about Aquaman generally but that worked out fine because in this book neither does Aquaman (rimshot). I enjoyed this! Kelly Sue is great, I'll read whatever random character she writes about!

bookishmermaid's review against another edition

ARC provided by publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not caught up with superheroes comics but when i saw this one about aquaman i was intrigued. The design and colors were really gorgeous but the actual content of the story was bland and lacking to me.

depreydeprey's review against another edition

The thing that keeps drawing me back to Aquaman is that there is no baseline to follow. While a lot of great people have worked on the book there aren't any quintessential story lines or beats we need to come back to. As a result, writers and artists are free to get strange. They can sink San Diego into the ocean or invent stuff like the trench and the brine and really embrace how strange the undersea world is and insert that into Aquaman's world. The last great example of this was the murky and shadowy Aquaman Underworld arch that let Stjepan Sejic fly his freak flag under water. This arch isn't that good but DeConnick has decided here to play around with sea mythology and along the way does some interesting world building. This is a slower pace than most super hero comics that might alienate some but I liked that she took her time and let the story and characters breath above and below the surface and let the strangeness happen.

mara_jade510's review against another edition

I enjoyed this volume. Love the ocean and the creation myth and the old gods in this one. It’s not a deep (hah!) story, but the artwork is pretty.

etienne02's review against another edition

2,5/5. I never been the biggest fan of Aquaman, but the beginning of this series catch my attention. Unfortunately, in the middle it became too much for me. Too much colorful, but with a drawing style that was not that great, it try to be epic, but ended up bringing lot of invented stuff to fill it and to try to express build a world which didn’t work for me. Too bad because at first, it look like it could have been some sort or origin or new start to an Aquaman series, but for my it was a fail attempt and that won’t be the series that with grip me and that I will continue on.