In the Dream House, by Carmen Maria Machado

books4days's review

4 stars, but not using Goodreads default of "I liked it," as I found this memoir as disturbing as it intended to be. This book has been described as "genre-bending," in that each chapter (each no more than 4 pages long) is titled "Dream House as ____" with a genre (or kind-of genre) filling in each blank. I decided to read this book after I heard an NPR story about this book, and the part they read on-air was "Dream House as Choose Your Own Adventure." This memoir of an abusive same-sex relationship is meant to shed light on this rarely-discussed subject. The author discusses why intimate partner violence in lesbian relationships hasn't been the subject of much discussion, and it was very interesting learning about relevant court cases along with the devolution of the author's relationship with the unnamed woman who lives in the Dream House. This was the first thing I have read by Carmen Maria Machado (I couldn't get into her book of short stories), and it was very powerful -- a train wreck of a relationship I couldn't look away from.

kalagallop's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

mollsparrish's review

dark emotional medium-paced

bzhuang's review against another edition

emotional reflective

paigepeploe's review

fast-paced

alenabaggins's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

bfyanagi's review

dark emotional informative reflective slow-paced

helenamaria's review

emotional informative sad fast-paced

bunny_bub's review against another edition

emotional reflective

pandalena's review against another edition