In the Dream House, by Carmen Maria Machado

jinn's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

literaryrealm's review against another edition

Words can’t describe what this book feels like - devastating, lyrical, important, painful, shocking, calm. All I can truly say is that it blew me away and that it’ll stay with me for a very long time. It’s as good as everyone says it is, go read it now (but look up trigger warnings first)!

maddie197's review

I borrowed this book without properly checking what it was about - I thought it was a literal story about a haunted house and was quite confused as I made my way through the first few pages. So that was my bad. I didn't really come to enjoy it anyway though, even once I realised I was reading a memoir on an abusive same-sex relationship. While well-written and creatively structured, it felt clinical. Rather than a memoir, I felt like I was reading an academic piece, which left me feeling disconnected from her experience. I didn't like the footnotes or chapter titles ("The Dream House as..." got old very quick). I can see why people liked this and definitely an important topic, but it just wasn't for me.

lucasm's review

Ella why do u have the best taste in books!! This was so gorgeous and immersive and eloquent and self-aware and thoughtful and surprisingly optimistic & sometimes I forget that my best friends and I are not the only queer people ever. Also #secondpersonsupremacy

thatrebell's review against another edition

an important book

lrlebouvier's review

wow.

everyone read this book.

schnieke's review

challenging dark emotional informative sad tense fast-paced

nogglization's review against another edition

This is the second book in a row that was just a bunch of depressing reminiscing.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this opinion, I probably should have read the synopsis a little better before committing.

I am not a fan of depressing stories, no matter if they're real or fake.

That being said ... I really have enjoyed all of Roxane Gay's books, so I guess the writing approach can sway me.

lauconn's review

dark emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

divineauthor's review

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

”What does it mean for something to be haunted, exactly?” —Machado, page 127

this entire memoir was haunting actually . . . machado’s prose was beautiful and lyrical in the face of the reality of queer domestic abuse!