Home Before Dark, by Riley Sager

kingboycar's review against another edition

3.5/5 stars! riley sager does it again! seriously expected a rehash of hill house (which it kind of was) but was pleasantly surprised by this book. a good thriller with some satisfying tension builds, although i was a little let down on the ‘horror’ aspect of it. i admit that the ending was a little too cramped and underwhelming for my taste, i would’ve appreciated some more build up to the conclusion. i had a couple gripes with the mc being a little bland and ultimately not as compelling as the other characters, but i appreciated that she quite literally picked up a weapon and started hunting around the house when she heard a weird noise. while not as good as the last time i lied, i still liked the setting and tone that sager sets up and delivers on.

mattc_85's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

whatthefawkes's review against another edition

Now, this is the type of book I expect when I hear the name 'Riley Sager'! Gripping, intriguing, mysterious, plot twist on top of plot twist...

epilieaspiechick's review against another edition

My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Half the fun of this story is seeing how much Maggie's life has been made worse by that book her dad wrote. Seeing how she has to deal with the old neighbors in the told and how they react to her presence is intriguing. From happy responses to angry ones, it really highlights how much that what our parents do can follow us. We live with more than just the consequences of our own actions, no matter how unfair that reality is.

kay_andy's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

zagoraca's review against another edition

It's the ending! Sager's endings ALWAYS get me.

For a while this book felt like a mash up of all haunted house stories and ideas that had come before it which was a little off-putting. I found myself getting super frustrated at all the callbacks in this novel to Haunting of Hill House, Turn of the Screw, Amityville Horror and even Stranger Things. To me, it felt lazy? But the end brought it all together and this was definitely done on purpose.

It's just so hard to find a good, creepy, atmospheric, classic haunted house book. Especially one that keeps you guessing until the very end. Home Before Dark fits the bill and is totally a wild ride.

cavine's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

missmeagan's review against another edition

Meh.

leslielikesliterature's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced